Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Mom (Singular) Dads (Plural)

Yet another record I've had for ages and never paid any attention to. And I would have sworn that the artist was The Moms And Dads (kinda like an un-hip Mamas & The Papas), but I would have been wrong. If you look at the cover, it's obvious there is only one Mom and three dads.  Well, we assume they have such parental titles, but there's no sign of any kids. Point is, there is one woman and three men, so the name is The Mom And Dads. Now that that's out of the way, I can tell you that the music here is surprisingly enjoyable. It's peppy, happy, upbeat, well worth a listen. You certainly wouldn't guess that from their name or the cover pictures, but it's good music. This is The Mom And Dads-Merry Christmas With The Mom And Dads (GNP Crescendo GNPS 2067, Stereo, 1972). I just noticed there's a little confusion here about the title. On the cover it's Merry Christmas With The Mom And Dads, while the labels show it as Seasons Greetings. I would expect better from this label...

1. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
2. White Christmas
3. Here Comes Santa Claus
4. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
5. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
6. Silver Bells
7. Jingle Bells
8. Winter Wonderland
9. Jingle Bell Rock
10. May You Have A Happy New Year
11. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
12. Auld Lang Syne

MEGA

9 comments:

  1. I always thought it was the Moms and Dads myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has long been one of my favorite album covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back picture is probably better than the one one the front. :)

      Delete
  3. From their name I assumed they were a family band through marriage; turns out they weren't related at all. Lol. Interesting to learn they had a big hit in Australia and New Zealand in early 1972 with "The Rangers Waltz".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was a minor hit in the US as well, at least enough to give them a bit of a career. This was much better than what I was expecting when I put the needle in the groove.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, apparently it hit the country charts in '71 before traveling overseas.

      Delete
  4. When I was growing up, my Dad loved listening to Polkas. We had a regular Mom and Dads album. We listened to it quite a bit, along with Johnny Cash's albums. I have always loved their music. If I remember correctly, they came from Spokane, Washington area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wikipedia says Spokane. You can't get much further away from me than that without leaving the lower 48.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...