Monday, December 18, 2023

A Clean Christmas

If the name on that album cover above is scaring you a bit don't worry. As the note on the back of the sleeve says, this is a clean album. For those not in the know, I suggest you don't do a search for the discography of John Valby. He's a gifted pianist, but most of this records are so dirty you couldn't clean them with a pressure washer and a bucket of Oxi-Clean. I tried once to rip his LP wittily titled Jingle Balls but I couldn't make it through. It's a big mess that just tries to offend in any way it can. But this LP avoids all that, and it turns out to be pretty good. I believe John sticks to the keys here and Ron Lombardo adds vocals to a few of the tracks. You'll enjoy it if you don't think too hard about the rest of the records in his discography. (Well, most of them, but more about that later.) This is John Valby with Ron Lombardo-Merry Christmas (Gemsbok GB 406, Stereo, 1980)

1. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
2. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
3. The First Noel; We Wish You A Merry Christmas
4. Hark The Herald Angels Sing
5. O Come All Ye Faithful
6. Silent Night
7. O Holy Night
8. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
9. Christmas Castle
10. Carol Of The Bells
11. Angels On High
12. O Come Emmanuel
13. Good King Wenceslas
14. Unknown Instrumental
15. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
16. Hark The Herald Angels Sing
17. Joy To The World
18. We Wish You A Merry Christmas

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if you're familiar with Blowfly - he has a Christmas album called "Blowfly Does XXX-Mas" and it's most certainly not safe for work. I once made my mom a Christmas compilation and stuck one of his songs on there as a joke. She gave the CD to my uncle, who took it to his work Christmas party. Luckily, hospice workers have a good sense of humor, and I'm sure the look on his face when the song came on made it completely clear that he had no idea that song was on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Actions have consequences, as they say. I put Monty Python's Sit On My Face on a comp for a girl once, and then her mother was very unhappy about it...

      Delete
  2. Laurie and Ernie - Great stories! Blowfly I have heard of. John Valby is a new name to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This guy is probably up there with Blowfly, but more musical.

      Delete
  3. thank you for this Christmassongs.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...