Wednesday, December 20, 2023

White Christmas

I recently saw someone post a picture of this record and say that they gave it a hard pass. I had to chime in and tell them a little bit about what they were missing and I'll share the same info with you. I recorded a mono version of this a long time ago and really enjoyed it. This year I was able to record a stereo version and it was again something I really liked. The sisters here sound an awful lot like The Lennon Sisters and in another reality they might have enjoyed the same career as the Lennons. But they were fated to spend their career recording religious songs and toiling away far from the world of popular music. Listen to the beautiful way they sing the familiar carols on this disc and I'm sure you'll wish they'd been able to do more of that. Unfortunately, none of the other songs here rise to the level of those carols, or at least the lyrical content doesn't. These three sisters still have some beautiful voices and  will leave you wanting more. This is The White Sisters-The Christmas Story (Word WST-8125-LP, Stereo, 1962).

1. The Christmas Story
2. Ivory Palaces
3. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
4. Silent Night
5. Jesus, Wonderful Lord
6. Carol Of Christmas
7. Keep Christ In Christmas
8. Allelujah!
9. No Room
10. Away In A Manger
11. In Excelsis Deo
12. Seeking For Me

Whoops, almost forgot, I can't share this record because the Sisters have self-released all their old Word material on CD, and you can buy it directly from them at their website. Give it a shot, you'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

  1. The White Sisters are good - I imagine I heard them from your previous share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I ever actually got it posted last time. I couldn't find my old share to link to. But hopefully I drive a little traffic to their CD version. It's good stuff.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...