Monday, December 18, 2023

Christmas With Al

This is another one of those records that's been in my collection for a long time, but I've never paid too much attention to it. When I did take a second recently to actually read what was on the cover, I spotted a familiar name. It appears that guitarist extraordinaire Al Caiola was the arranger and conductor on this collection of public domain songs with new lyrics for Christmas. (We had a Christmas greeting from Al earlier this year, don't miss it!) I don't think any of these rise to the level of Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, but they're not too bad. Give it a download and a listen, see how your funny bone reacts. (I hope it not as painful as smacking your funny bone on the edge of the kitchen table, that smarts!) This is The Golden Orchestra & Singers-Christmas Songs That Tickle Your Funny Bone (Wonderland LP-278, Stereo, 1972). Enjoy!

1. Santa's Comin' Down The Chimney (When He Comes)
2. Oh Give Me A Bike With A Ring-Ding I Like (Toys, Beautiful Toys)
3. The Jolly Gent Who Jingles (Is Good Old Santa Claus)
4. Did You Ever See A Snowflake
5. The Ride Of The One Horse Open Sleigh (Jingle Bells)
6. A Doodle-Oodle - Christmas Song
7. First Skater's Waltz
8. We Just Had A Party And Gee It Was Great (Viva La Company)
9. Seven Days To Vacation (A Yula Christmas Holiday)
10. You Take The High Branch, & I'll Take The Low Branch (Trimmin' The Tree)
11. On Top Of The Housetop
12. The First Snowball Of The Season
13. Turkey Dinner, Turkey Dinner (The Drumstick Song)
14. Christmas Candles
15. Giddyap, Giddyap, Whoa Santa
16. Merrily We Sing Along (Ring Out The Old Year, Ring In The New)

MEGA

7 comments:

  1. I love Al's playing; I presume we don't get much, if any, of it on this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't hear anything that sounded like him. :( He probably just needed a quick bit of cash and signed on for a bit to this project.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Ernie. I have had this record for years, since college days... when I worked in Child Care. I converted it to mp3 about 12 years ago, but it had so many crackles. Yours is so much better high quality. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow -- this looks great! Can't go too wrong with Al Caiola arranging a bunch of non-standard holiday tunes. Will add it to next year's holiday listening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, his name may be on it, but I'd be hard pressed to point to anything on here that sounds like something he contributed.

      Delete
    2. Well, his name may be on it, but I'd be hard pressed to point to anything on here that sounds like something he contributed.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...