Monday, December 18, 2023

Special Seeburg

A very, very special Christmas share for you tonight, a record that I didn't even know existed until I came across a copy in a dollar bin less than a month ago. I played it cool as I pulled it out and eyeballed it up and down. For a buck I was happy to take a chance on it, no matter what it turned out to be, but it turned out to be something great. This is a sample record given out by Seeburg dealers to customers and prospective clients featuring some of the music that would play from their BGM (Back Ground Music) systems during the holiday season. I've had another record they put out for years and years, and the three (1, 2, 3) from Muzak (with very similar music and backstories) as well (and something similar from 3M, two of them in fact), but I didn't know this one existed. But there is was, on Black Friday, in the box of dollar holiday records at the record fair out front of the record store. I'm sure it would have disappeared quickly if I hadn't grabbed, but I was quite happy I did, and I'm excited to share it with you tonight. The cover was pretty beat up, it took a lot of work to get it to look as smooth as uniform as you see in the pic above, but the vinyl was shiny and clean even without an inner sleeve. I don't think it's seen much use since it was first pressed. For your enjoyment, this is Seeburg Musicians-Music For Christmas (The Seeburg Music Library SM56213, Stereo, 1972)

1. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
2. Silver Bells
3. Winter Wonderland
4. Joy To The World
5. The Christmas Song
6. We Three Kings
7. Sleigh Ride
8. It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
9. White Christmas
10. Jingle Bells
11. Away In A Manger
12. I Saw Three Ships
13. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
14. Jolly Old St. Nicholas

MEGA

22 comments:

  1. I can’t wait to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the other one, this will be more of the same. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice one! I have a Seeburg Christmas LP, but it isn't this item. I think mine is a relatively common record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's another one I've shared for a while. It's not common, but more common that this one.

      Delete
  3. Pairs very nice with the sound & color of Christmas album you shared way back in 17', that one still plays very nicely for a quite evening - thanks again for all that you do this time of year (oh, and July as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Looking forward to hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab job you did on your cover restoration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solid colors are fairly easy. Wish I'd spent the time to do the O in stereo though. I was in a hurry. :(

      Delete
  6. More Seeburg! FYI there is a website with a Seeburg Music stream. It is not all Christmas music this time of the year but a nice selection is in the playlist. seeburg1000.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are dozens, if not hundreds of Seeburg BGM records out there. I've got a few of them, but the Christmas ones aren't all Christmas, they're interspersed with normal music. They have a huge center hole, are 10" in diameter and spin at 16-2/3 RPM. They're a pain to record, so I've never done more than one or two of them. I suspect that's what he's streaming.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Ernie! Just wanted you to know that the files are very large for this bit rate. I think you mentioned it's due to large embedded image files. Sometimes this causes playback problems for me. But then again, maybe it's just my problem! Anyway, much gratitude for fantastic year of shares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, looks like I left the JPG compression at 100% instead of my usual 90% on this artwork. Going back and redoing it cut the file size for the artwork well over half, and the total download size by half when I embedded the smaller images. Download has been updated. Sorry about that.

      Delete
    2. Awesome, this worked great! Can't wait to enjoy it. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. There are probably a few mores shares like that out there. I was trying to work with my JPGs at less compression for a bit before I decided it was unnecessary.

      Delete
    4. JPGs for this purpose are generally shown small and at screen resolution, so I doubt that moderate compression would make any difference to display quality.

      Delete
    5. Yeah, I know, but I was playing around with using less compression at the earlier stages of scanning and stitching and Photoshopping and had every intention of compressing the end product back down, but then I forgot. :(

      I also recorded a bunch of music in some strange mode that I accidentally clicked on where all the files came out twice as large as needed. Took me a while to figure out what I did, and thankfully that file size didn't translate to larger MP3 files. It's been a weird year, really. Maybe I've been trying to move too fast.

      Delete
    6. Thank you for all your shares. This one's a real gem!

      Delete
    7. My pleasure. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...