Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Back With The Ray, Part 2

I can't do one old Ray without doing the other one, so here is their actual Christmas album (the other one is more of a seasonal thing) in two versions. The original mono from 1956 and then a later reissue that claims to be stereo. Never figured out if it's actually a stereo version of the original issue, a remake or even a simulated stereo version. Download 'em both and let me know your opinion. Anyhow, I first shared this way back in 2005 and I'm remastering it for you today. Check it out! This is The Ray Charles Singers-Here We Come A-Caroling (MGM E3467, Mono, 1956)

1. Here We Come A-Caroling
2. Silent Night
3. Deck The Halls
4. The First Noel
5. O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adestes Fideles)
6. Lullay, Thou Little Tiny Child
7. Angels We Have Heard On High
8. What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)
9. I Saw Three Ships
10. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
11. Bring A Torch, Jeannette, Isabelle!
12. Away In A Manger
13. Good King Wenceslas
14. O, Little Town Of Bethlehem
15. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
16. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
17. God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
18. Rise Up, Shepherd, An' Foller
19. Joy To The World
20. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
21. Here We Come A-Caroling

MEGA

And as promised, here's a version that alleges to be in stereo. Not sure why they needed a new cover, but here it is. MGM reissued may of their old albums at about this same time, must have been a reason for that, though I don't know why. This is The Ray Charles Singers-Christmas At Home (MGM SE-4166 (AKA SE-4400), Stereo, 1963). Couple of slightly different covers and catalog numbers used for this issue. It's all there in the download.

1. Here We Come A-Caroling
2. Silent Night
3. Deck The Halls
4. The First Noel
5. O, Come All Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
6. Lullay, Thou Little Tiny Child
7. Angels We Have Heard On High
8. What Child Is This?
9. I Saw Three Ships
10. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
11. Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabella!
12. Away In A Manger
13. Good King Wenceslas
14. O, Little Town Of Bethlehem
15. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
16. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
17. God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
18. Rise Up, Shepherds, An' Foller
19. Joy To The World
20. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
21. Here We Come A-Caroling

MEGA

19 comments:

  1. Ernie! You are the best. Remember listening to this as a youngster. Wonderful nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A copy of this came through Amoeba that was autographed on the front by Ray; the pricer made sure to point out that it was the "other" Ray Charles as featured on the cover. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember feeling obligated to mention that the first time I posted it. At this point, I think it would be hilarious if someone confused the two. :)

      Delete
    2. My favorite aspect is that neither gentleman has Charles as a last name; the more famous Ray Charles is Ray Charles Robinson Sr., while this Ray Charles is actually Charles Raymond Offenberg.

      Delete
    3. Don't think I knew that! Learn something new every day! :)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy all of your remasters for the opportunity to listen to these albums with fresh ears as much as the improved sound, so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my remasters are because I forgot I ever recorded the record in the first place! Or if I'm too lazy to dig out the old rip. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey, another fine record! Love that original cover. I am old enough to remember when people actually did come around caroling (or maybe I saw it in a movie).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw it in a movie once. And these people seem to be in a lobby or something. They're clearly inside, yet there's a window with kiddies peeping through it. Reminds me of a doctor's office or something...

      Delete
    2. They seem to be in a studio. It could not have been comfortable with all those coats and scarves. etc.

      Delete
  5. Thank you. I do like this album. And the other version appears to be rechanneled, not true stereo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, but people will ask for it so I went ahead and included it.

      Delete
  6. There isn't much stereo information, to be sure. But it actually sounds better than the mono, whether real or "fake".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A deep Discogs dive revealed a whole bunch of 'Stereo" reissues of older MGM material at about this same time, all with new catalog numbers and covers. So I suspect it was a huge marketing decision to get the back catalog moving again.

      Delete
  7. I actully did have a Mono copy of the first album with the black label MGM logo almost five years ago. However, the music was too tame for my taste (not quite as exciting as his later stuff for Command Records), so I wound up purging it. Looking forward to listening to the Winter themed-album, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a copy of the black label in the download. I like to include all the variations I have handy. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Ernie. I can't remember when I first heard about "The Ray Charles Singers"... If it was by accident... looking for popular Christmas music, on secondhandsongs.com or if was from one of your posts. They were a wonderful group :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been sharing their records out since 2005 or so, and they were thrift stores staples for as long as I can remember, especially their Command stuff. It's like they've always been there...

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...