Sunday, December 17, 2023

Christmas Country Style

Posting that last record from the Salvation Army reminded me of one of the tracks from this collection, so I figured I'd throw it up here while it's on my mind. It's a great collection of tracks from the Monument label, perhaps best known as the home of Roy Orbison during his earliest hit-making days, but later taking a solid turn towards the country market. This collection features a list of performers who probably aren't too familiar to you (they weren't to me), but there's some ringers in here that I'll point out. First up is the track Kettles And Bells, a tribute to those Salvation Army bell-ringers you see out from of the stores from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I don't believe he explicitly calls out the Salvation Army in the song, but it's pretty clear who and what he's talking about. Also of interest here is a spoken word track from Grandpa Jones, probably the only song here I was familiar with before ripping this collection. This was issued as a single with another Christmas story on the flip side, so if you like this one, hunt down the single. The third track of note is one I almost missed. Winter Wonderland is performed by the great Harold Bradley, one of the great session guitarists of the Sixties in Nashville and clearly a great artist in his own right. (Don't get confused like I did, Harold Bradley is the brother of Owen Bradley, who you're more likely to have heard of and who released some Christmas music of his own.) A nice little find for an artist too few have heard of. Everything else here is good, too, but not something you're liable to write home about. Henson Cargill (Skip A Rope) totally copies the Johnny Cash arrangement of Little Drummer Boy here, but I guess it was ten years old at this point so who was gonna remember it? The whole thing is a pleasant listen, so download and enjoy Country Christmas (Monument SLP18125, Stereo, 1969).

1. Billy Walker-Kettles And Bells
2. Linda Webb-Jingle Bell Rock
3. Harold Bradley-Winter Wonderland
4. Leamon Sisters-Rocking Around The Christmas Tree
5. Ray Pennington-Home Pulls The Heartstrings At Christmas
6. Grandpa Jones-Christmas Guest
7. David Briggs-Blue Christmas
8. Henson Cargill-Little Drummer Boy
9. Carl Vaughn-White Christmas
10. Ed Bruce-Sweet Little Jesus Boy

MEGA

8 comments:

  1. Always like a bit of country christmas, many of these artists are not known to me as well - except for Grandpa Jones, and that is one of my favorite christmas songs(?) as it has peaceful background music and a great message - thanks for that excellent file of a very good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Grandpa was a bit of a ringer on this album, but there's other good stuff here. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, so much Ernie. I already had this Album, but can't remember how I downloaded it. I always check artists with https://secondhandsongs.com - to see if they are "popular" - meaning that they had a song or album that was a chart topper. Every artist, on this album was popular (even if they aren't all well known).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure some of them charted a record, but if no one remembers after a few years... I suppose Grandpa Jones is still known because of his TV work. I seem to remember being surprised at his recording career when I discovered it. :)

      Delete
  3. The Harold Bradley take on "Winter Wonderland" is quite lovely. I also liked the Ray Pennington track--makes me wish Ray Charles had covered it for his Christmas album!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ernie,
    Slowly working through my Christmas downloads. It still is Christmas in my home. Maybe one day, I will pack the things away?
    Anyway, this album rings in as my 5th favorite one from this year's sharing. Who is going to make it into 6th place? Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's certainly some good stuff on here, but I can' only take so much of that country sound at a time. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...