Monday, December 18, 2023

Another Trip To The John

You probably weren't expecting more music from the foul-mouthed John Valby (AKA Dr. Dirty), but then neither was I when I discovered this record. The calligraphy on the front seemed awful familiar and the info on the back sealed the deal. There are a lot of other artists here, but I suspect he's the ringleader as he's the best know among the folks listed. A close read of the back doesn't actually tell us the name of this conglomeration of musicians, so in the interest of brevity I have christened them The Sawmill River Musicians. I think this label was a successor to Valby's earlier label, Gemsbok, or maybe just a side label for side projects. I don't know, but it's pretty good stuff, and once again it's clean as a whistle. Please download and enjoy The Sawmill River Musicians-A Sawmill River Christmas (Sawmill Records SM 25, Stereo, 1986)

1. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
2. It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
3. Sugar Plum Fairies
4. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
5. Walking In A Winter Wonderland
6. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
7. Angels We Have Heard On High
8. Jolly Old St. Nicholas
9. O Holy Night
10. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
11. Carol Of The Bells
12. Sleigh Ride
13. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
14. O Come Emanuel
15. Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers
16. The First Noël
17. Joy To The World
18. Good King Wenceslas
19. Christmas Song

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. So this guy produced dirty records with a side business producing Christmas LPs? Odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far, far more dirty records than Christmas albums. That's why these are such a surprise.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I did not know he did anything clean. A surprise indeed! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ernie, I still have a number of your Christmas shares to listen to. But this one, comes in so far as my number 6 choice. I like the eclectic grouping of songs on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting collection, even more so when you know of his blue work that's so different from this.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...