Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Military Madness 3

OK, what branch of the US Armed Services have we not heard from yet? Oh, yeah, the Navy. (For the record, I don't think I have any records from the Marines or the Coast Guard this year. I don't think I've ever had a record from the Marines, but the Coast Guard has shown up here before, barely.) A little backstory on this record, I found it at a Salvation Army store up in Clearwater. It was a former library copy, and it had been stuffed into one of those heavy plastic sleeves they use to protect their records. And at some point a little water had gotten in that sleeve and parts of the cover were badly stained and moldy. I put it back and picked it up several times before I finally took it up to the register and bought it. The vinyl was clean enough, though I'm sure you'll hear some noisy spots that I would have liked to avoid. The cover was a different story. Once I got it out of that plastic sleeve, it was a mess. But I cleaned it up as best I could, scanned it, then cleaned it up some more. I had to create a few of those curly letters from scratch but I think it came out OK given what I started with. And I was quite surprised when I discovered that the songs on the flipside of the record feature Tony Sandler (you know, one half of Sandler & Young). I hadn't even realized he was on there when I was debating whether or not to grab this record. So I'm glad I made the decision to bring it home but I'm going to continue hunting for a better copy. If you'd like to hear what all the fuss is about, please download The United States Navy Band With The Sea Chanters, Featuring Tony Sandler (side 2 only)-Christmastime All Over The World (United States Navy No Number, Stereo, )

1. Christmastime All Over The World
2. Swedish Medley: Now It Is Christmas Again; Now Light A Thousand Christmas Lights
3. British Medley: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen; Good King Wenceslas; We Wish You A Merry Christmas
4. Slavic Medley: Jesus Holy, Born So Lowly; Shepherds Came To Bethlehem; Only In A Manger Bed; I Go To Bethlehem
5. French Medley: Bring A Torch Jeannette Isabella; Pat A Pan; He Is Born, The Holy Child
6. Jingle Bells
7. White Christmas
8. Do You Hear What I Hear?
9. Ave Maria
10. Out Of The East
11. Silent Night/Susa Nina
12. I Sing Noel
13. Snow Scene

MEGA

2 comments:

  1. Rescuing cover art can be fun or annoying, or both. Usually both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty pleased with myself for getting it to look this good. The back side is still a disaster though.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...