Sunday, December 17, 2023

The Band On The Corner

Christmas is the time for the Salvation Army band to shine, and shine they do on this release from a New York City based group of Army musicians. Sounds exactly like you'd expect a Salvation Army band to sound like, but I'm not sure why. Is it the instruments, the skill level of the players, the rehearsal level, I dunno. But there's no mistaking that sound. Please download and enjoy The Salvation Army New York Staff Band-Derek Smith, Bandmaster-New York Noel (Triumphonic Recordings TRLPS20, Stereo, 1974). The cover on my copy was a little rough, you can see a lot of little circles on it where the glossy top covering was delaminating from the printed cardboard. It doesn't take anything away from the music, but it kinda mars the underexposed nighttime photo of Central Park a bit.

1. Bethlehem Bells: Carol Setting
2. The Joy Of Christmas: Suite
3. Greensleeves: Song Arrangement
4. Silent Night
5. Luke 2: 1-12
6. The Bethlehem Story: Suite
7. When Christmas Morning Brightens
8. The Message Of Christmas: Selection
9. Hail, Smiling Morn: Carol Setting
10. On This Day
11. A Carol Fantasy
12. Matthew 2: 1-12, 16
13. We Three Kings: Carol Setting
14. God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen
15. Glory To God: Messiah Chorus

MEGA

9 comments:

  1. I assumed those were snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely photo, but I prefer my snow to be white, not green. And I too thought the spots were snow on first glance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that's a byproduct of the long exposure needed for a night scene and the color cast of those old light sources.

      Delete
  3. Thank Ernie, Not to frustrate you, but years ago... I found a website/blog that is set aside for only Salvation Army Band/Songsters albums to be posted. Ernie, I personally think you would find this site quite interesting. Especially anyone that loves The Salvation Army and Brass Bands :) If you select to listen, you can also indirectly select to download the album (if it's not copyrighted). Every year, especially at Christmas, I try to keep myself updated on, if there are any new albums. There are also a couple other sites, that allow it. I will try to find them for you.

    https://www.regalzonophone.com/Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the second site, but I am still trying to find the other Salvation Army downloadable site

      https://qso.com/MP3/index.html

      Delete
    2. That's a pretty deep rabbit hole, I'm going to have to set up a week or two to go down it. :)

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, Ernie. The Regal Zonophone one is extensive, but amazing... I have over 2000 tracks of just Salvation Army Christmas music alone - over 1000 tracks are Brass alone, plus songsters music, etc...
      You helped me get some of it also :)
      By the way, the album cover - for this particular album is a much clearer (if that's the correct word) on the regalzonophone site.

      Delete
    4. My album cover is what it is because that's what I have. I don't like to take someone else's work and pass it off as my own. If you'd like to use their cover, that's fine with me, but I'm not gonna take what's theirs.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...