Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One Minute Of Christmas


I know you are all getting tired of the reruns, and so am I. Just to mix things up a little bit, here's a new share. However, be aware, it's short but sweet. This album was designed for use by radio stations as music to be used between programs or as a bed for something else. There are sixteen tracks on here, but each of them is only a minute long. It makes for a short album, but trust me when I tell you there's some good music on here. Many years ago, I posted the little green Santa Claus from the cover of this album and lamented the fact that I didn't have the vinyl that belonged in the sleeve. Well, thanks to the internet, I've now got the vinyl that matches the sleeve. And that means you do too! Here's Elliot Lawrence And His Orchestra-Christmas Just A Minute! (Sesac PA 221/222, Mono).

1. Jingle Bells
2. Jumpin' At The Toy Shop
3. Toyland
4. Dancing Snowflake
5. Santa's Mambo
6. Ring-Around-The Snowman
7. Deck The Halls
8. Auld Lang Syne
9. The Bell Carol
10. Silent Night
11. Joy To The World
12. We Three Kings
13. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
14. Adeste Fideles
15. The First Noel
16. We Wish You A Merry Christmas

6 comments:

  1. Great find, Ernie! I really enjoyed this one! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, Ernie - never saw this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find. Thanks. Late for xmas but I love it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ernie !!

    Thanks for posting this.

    In case you're interested, I just found a segment from Billboard Magazine (November 14, 1964) which talks about SESAC having just produced a 5-LP special collection called "The Christmas Package" which included this Elliot Lawrence album, plus others by The Anita Kerr Singers, Don Janse Chorale & William Dawson Chorale as well as a "Harp Moods And Interludes" album.

    Apparently, it was aimed squarely at broadcasters to give them some holiday production aids in one neat package. They offered the package on an outright sale basis of $9.95 for the 5-LP set. Not bad, eh ?!!

    I wonder if any of those other LP's in this package are doing the rounds ? It would be nice to piece together the entire set - don't you think ?!!

    Anyway, I'm not sure if the Elliot Lawrence LP was available prior to this but the Billboard Magazine article suggests to me that this package might well have marked it's debut. If so, that would indicate it's year of release as 1964.

    Hope that info is of use to you.


    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. UPDATE: Just found out from a list of albums posted on 'vinylrevival.com' that "Harp Moods & Interludes: Just a Minute" was issued with a catalog number of SESAC PA-237/238.

    The search continues...


    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, very interesting information. And that hard LP was the only one I don't have any clue on, doesn't even sound like Christmas tunes based on the title, but we'll have to wait and see.

    As far as the others, I believe the Anita Kerr showed for download from a German branch of Bear Family as discussed over at the Fa' (http://falalalala.com/fireside/index.php?topic=2221.0). The Don Janse & William Dawson are probably the records that have made the Pickwick and/or Custom and/or Design rounds for years. I've never seen them as SESAC releases, but I do have them as giveaways from GE, I think, which I suspected might be their initial release, but looks like I was wrong.

    Anyhow, nice bit of detective work on these. I suspect they came out a bit earlier, but only a year or two. Why would SESAC release them all together at such a low price if they hadn't already rung some profit out of them for a year or two individually?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...