Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stereo-Mono-Incompatible

A curious tale, this one. Usually I share out whatever version of a record I can find, but if I have a choice, I go with the stereo version. Luckily, when I found this record, I found the mono first. I recorded it. Then I found the stereo version, so I recorded that one. Comparing the times of the two recordings, they didn't match up very well. So I did a side-by-side listen, and they weren't the same recordings! They appear to have gone back into the studio and re-recorded all the tracks for the stereo release. They even added a chorus which wasn't there on the mono session. I have to admit that I prefer the mono version, but you can take your choice of either or both. And do I have to tell you that this one is really good? Trust me, your download time is well spent with this one. Here are Domenico Savino And His Orchestra-Hi-Fi Christmas Party (RCA Camden CAL-392, 1958, Mono) and Domenico Savino, His Orchestra And Chorus-Hi-Fi Christmas Party (RCA Camden CAS-392, 1958, Stereo). This discovery all took place back in 2006, in case you missed it then.

1. White Christmas
2. Sleigh Ride
3. Winter Wonderland
4. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
5. Jingle Bells
6. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
7. O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
8. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
9. The First Noel
10. O Holy Night
11. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
12. Es Ist Ein Ros' Entsprungen (Lo! How A Rose E'er Blooming)
13. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
14. Joy To The World
15. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
16. Silent Night
Sometime in the past year or so, I also found what I believe is the original mono cover, the green one shown below. This one matches the EP release I first found and shared many years ago. This one is credited as Domenico Savino And The Rome Festival Orchestra-Christmas Party (RCA Camden CAL-333, Mono, 1956). The music on here is the same as the music on the mono Hi-Fi Christmas Party above.

1 comment:

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...