Monday, December 19, 2022

2022 At 78 RPM-Chanukah

I know I'm a day late, and it's a really small share, but I do have a couple of Chanukah songs for you from the collection of shellac over at The Internet Archive. It might be easier to find this stuff if there was a standardized spelling of Chanukah, but there seem to be quite a few ways that are accepted, and there are even more ways that were in use when these records came out. So I didn't spend as much time as I needed to find some shares, yet somehow still wound up with duplicates in my folder. Once I weeded those out of the pile, I was left with nine sides, most of which have more than one song on them, but I didn't cut them into pieces because they all flow together. So here on the second night of Chanukah, enjoy some tunes from crusty old 78s!

1. Vocal: Shirley Cohen, Narrator: Eli Gamliel, Accompaniment: Helen Schraefer-Chanukah Music Box: Brochot; Maoz Tzur; Little Candle Fires; Sov, Sov, Sov
2. Narration-Fred Vogel, Songs-Jesse Silverstein, Music-Herbert Rothgarber-The Chanukah Party: Happy Chanukah; Song Of The Latkes; Presents; Maccabee March
3. Sung By Emanuel Rosenberg-Judith K. Eisenstein, Piano-The Hanukkah Blessings; Rock Of Ages
4. Vocal: Shirley Cohen, Narrator: Eli Gamliel, Accompaniment: Helen Schraefer-Chanukah Music Box: Maccabee March; Yimai Ha-Chanukah; Spin Little Dreidle; Chazak V'ematz
5. Sung By Emanuel Rosenberg-Judith K. Eisenstein, Piano-O Hanukkah; Mi Yemalel; Spin Sevinon
6. Narration-Fred Vogel, Songs-Jesse Silverstein, Music-Herbert Rothgarber-The Chanukah Party: Count The Candles; Spin, Dreydel, Spin; Happy Chanukah
7. Mickey Katz And His Kosher-Jammers-The Draidel Song
8. Emile Renan, Baritone-Rosalind Nadell, Contralto-Free Synagogue Choir-Alexander Richardson, Organist-A.W. Binder, Conductor-Brochos Shel Hanukkah (Blessings Over Lights)
9. Emile Renan, Baritone-Rosalind Nadell, Contralto-Free Synagogue Choir-Alexander Richardson, Organist-A.W. Binder, Conductor-Rock Of Ages (Hanukkah Hymn)

MEGA











4 comments:

  1. Hey there - the Jewish Holidays LP reminded me of a record I used to own on the same topic narrated by actor Henry Hull. I don't recall the name of it, and have never found any reference to it online. Is there any chance that you have come across such an object in your collecting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't ring any bells, I'm afraid. I stumble across a lot of collections for Jewish holidays, but I only really pay attention if they have a Chanukah song I can use. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. This time you have presented some of the best ever Hannukah songs and blessings - thank you so much!

    By the way, it really doesn't matter how you write the name in English because it's a transliteration of the Hebrew - so one just has to be careful to spell it correctly in Hebrew.

    All the very best,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I've shared a couple of these on vinyl before, but that never stops me from doing it again. :)

      Thanks for the note, and have a Happy Chanukah! Err, Hannukah! Channuka!!

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...