Friday, December 23, 2022

Backcountry Christmas

From the most backcountry of the country labels, Starday, this is a small collection of Christmas songs crammed onto a 7" 45 RPM record. I'm not even sure that two of them are Christmas songs, but it's hard to argue with a label that was around before I was born, and has survived through vastly different forms for decades. This is Christmas Songs Country Style (Starday 7" 45 RPM SEP 240, Mono).

1. The Willis Brothers-Y'All Come
2. Red Sovine-Christmas Love Song
3. Benny Martin-Droopy Little Christmas Tree
4. The Willis Brothers-Hitch Up The Wagon
5. Red Sovine-Is There Really A Santa Claus
6. The Willis Brothers-Jingle Jill And Jangle Joe

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. Some of these appear to be abridged for purposes of the EP format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're pretty short. But sometimes that's a blessing. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ernie, Enoch Light released many such records I believe with songs in this shortened format.
    I was ready for Tennessee Ernie, Lucy, Ricky, Ethel, Fred, to show up in Y'All Come from "I Love Lucy".
    Anyway, I like the song collection. Maybe instead of Christmas Songs County Style, they should have called it Holiday Songs for Christmas, County Style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get the chance, see if you can find any episodes of Tennessee Ernie Ford's show. I seem to remember it being just as good as that time he was on I Love Lucy. Not sure where I saw it though, must have been on some weird TV channel since it was long before Youtube. Or maybe I saw it in the viewing rooms at the Museum of Broadcasting... No, that was Jimmy Dean with the early Muppets.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ernie, I will have to Google this.
      Never knew he had a TV show. Just those clips from I Love Lucy on YouTube.

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...