Thursday, December 22, 2022

Seasonal SESAC

I dug this record out of the collection early in the season, but I didn't come up with a sleeve for it until months later. Pretty sure I bought them at completely different times and places. Sometimes you find an empty sleeve and hope you have the record for it, and vice versa, but it rarely works out that well. Let's all rejoice that in this case, it all came together! This is The William Dawson Chorale-Sounds Of Christmas (Sesac 7" 45 RPM AD-84 Not For Sale For Demonstration Purposes Only, Mono).

1. Here We Come A'Wassailing
2. In A Cave
3. Silent Night
4. Merry Are The Bells

MEGA

4 comments:

  1. This is probably the William Dawson who was a composer (that Dawson was also a choir director). His best known work is the "Negro Folk Symphony" premiered and later recorded by Leopold Stokowski. Really nice find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get lucky with stuff sometimes. :) And I very much appreciate you pointing out connections like this! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Our choir sang "Ain't-a-that-a-good-news," one of Mr. Dawson's compositions way many years ago (90's?). I found his contact information, called Mr. Dawson, and spoke briefly to him, telling him about how much we enjoyed his music. He was gracious, appreciative, and, when I asked him for some performance advice, very specific about pronouciation and phrasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I reached out to one artist this season, and she was very gracious but a little ditzy. And then I friended her on FB and found out some things about her that I didn't want to know... :(

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...