Monday, November 27, 2006

Burn Baby Burn

You folks have been good today, so I think it's time I shared out something new. And by new, I mean old of course, and out of print. But maybe not as old as some of the stuff you're used to. Today you get some disco Christmas! First up is Holiday People-Holiday Disco (Universal Spectaculars USL 101, 1979), from the height of the disco exploitation era. There is very little about this LP that's redeeming. It's because of cheap knock-off albums like this that the whole disco backlash began. Everybody may like a little Saturday Night Fever or Disco Inferno, but when they started to crack out nameless tune after nameless tune using nameless bands and beats that came stock with your Casio keyboard, it all went south. Not that I remember any of that, I was too young to know what was going on at the time. But as I got older, I figured it all out. Or at least I thought I did. Anyhow, enjoy these nameless musicians performing these public domain Christmas songs as best you can. There is more (and better) disco to come here at Ernie (Not Bert).

PS-If you can't get enough disco here, cruise on over to Check The Cool Wax, he's got more Christmas disco for you.

7 comments:

  1. Gotta love the Christmas Disco.

    I have the exact same music on several different albums credited to the following "bands": The Disco Belles, The Roller Disco Orchestra, The Mistletoe Disco Band and Mirror Image (the same one posted on Check the Cool Wax).

    My favorite Xmas disco LPs are K-Tel's Christmas Disco Party, Christmas Disco Party by The Montreal Sound, Christmas Disco by PK and the Sound Explosion and Non-Stop Christmas & New Year's Eve Disco Dancing Party by French Champagne. I also happen to like that Mike Fagan LP and wish there was some web info on him somewhere.

    I also have a couple of singles by Walter Murphy, Moonlion, and The Memphis Sounds Orchestra.

    I am looking for "Disco Christmas" by the Universal Robot Band. I used to have it but my last Mac died and took the files with it. If anyone has it please get in touch at gattusog (at) yahoo (dot) com.

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's more Christmas disco than I care to even think about! That Universal Robot Band sounds interesting, too. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted the Universal Robot Band "Disco Christmas" as today's "Musical Fruitcake" selection:
    http://musicalfruitcake.com/2007/01/12/universal-robot-band-disco-christmas/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one composition on cassette named "Christmas Disco Medley - New York Fantasy". It is the best Xmas Pop I have come across. Felt like playing it again and again. Unfortunately I lost it forever. I do not understand what New York Fantasy means? Is it band name?

    Also this one is extremely rare. Could not find it on any site except this one korean site where it is available on LP:

    http://www.eoragy.co.kr/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=013002000381

    So do you know about this one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, haven't heard it, haven't seen it. But I'll grab it if I come across it for a few cents or less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BlackSun(cz : so i found the medley on other master blog - http://www.divshare.com/download/11327333-0ff

    from

    http://recordoobscura.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-jollies.html

    so enjoy !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donde podré conseguir este cd. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...