Tuesday, November 28, 2006

You, Too, Can Be A Santa

Do you want to be a Santa? Listen to this great track and sing along with Mitch, he'll tell you all you need to know. This single came out in 1961, alongside his popular Holiday Singalong With Mitch LP. The B-side of this single (Must Be Santa) in on the album, but not the A-side for some reason. But it's loss is our gain, 'cause the LP is on CD, but not this track. So here is Mitch Miller & The Gang-Be A Santa (Columbia 4-42240, 7" 45 rpm, 1961). The flip side to this sleeve is just advertisements for some other Mitch albums, so I didn't scan it in. Trust me, you aren't missing anything. The song "Be A Santa" appears to be from the Broadway musical Subways Are For Sleeping. I had no idea that there was a Christmas song in that. I've seen the soundtrack LP in numerous forms, and paid it no mind. I'll have to look closer next time. I hunted and hunted for this track as performed by Percy Faith back during Christmas In July, but never found it. I found other good stuff though, so check it out.

3 comments:

  1. SUBWAYS ARE FOR SLEEPING was cowritten by Betty Comden, who passed away on Thanksgiving at age 89. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing about her passing on the news that night. I didn't know the caonnection, though. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I googled "Be A Santa" song, your website came up- again! I had downloaded (free) the album Little Drummer Boy by the Living Voices- and it has "Be A Santa" on it also! Just thought you might like to know. LDBoy album is a great oldie that I grew up with and "Be a Santa" is a song I rarely hear- but it's really cute! Thanks for letting me enjoy it again. Kathy

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...