Sunday, November 26, 2006

From The Request Lines

I asked everybody the other day if they wanted to request anything, and got a few responses. Some of them were good ones that I'm going to work on, some stuff that I already had in the works, at least one item that I had already shared, and a couple of things that I can't share because they are on CD. But the very first request came from none other than my father. He wanted to hear an album that we had when I was a little kid. And you can't say no to dear old Dad, now can you? I remember this record from when I was little. After putting it on the turntable, I was able to sing along to every single song, even though I had no clue as to what some of them were. (Some of the titles are a little funny. They may have been trying to make you think you were getting a different song, or maybe avoid paying royalties. it is on Premiere, after all.) So for my father, here is Slim Boyd & The Rangehands-Christmas Country Style-Go Tell It On The Mountain (Premiere XM 11). Be sure you leave a little comment thanking him for this one if you download it. It's really pretty good. Sounds like a typical Premiere label patch job though. Could be three or four different lead singers on here, and who knows how many actual bands. But it's nice stuff.

6 comments:

  1. Yee-Haw! More cowboy Christmas stuff! I've always loved the combination of western swing and Christmas tunes, and have been surprised at how hard it is to find many records that combine'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bawb-I don't know if I'd consider this truly Western. Maybe in spots. Lemme know what you think after you listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, and all the other fun stuff you're posting. I discovered something odd about this one. I was converting some of my old vinyl in preparation for my mix cd, including a song by the Caroleers, Wait for the Wagon on Christmas Day. After I downloaded this album of yours, I discovered that it's the identical track as Wagon on Christmas. Maybe you already knew that, but I was intrigued. The Caroleers have it on their Frosty the Snowman album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DJ Django-Yeah, you've figured out the secret behind how that Caroleers were so prolific. They just kept releasing the same tracks under different names! We've found dozens and dozens of examples over at FaLaLaLaLa.com. Sometimes they add a simple overdub, but usually it's just the exact same track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you to your Dad! A few of these tracks sound like early Perry Como Christmas singles (also found on other Caroleeers album compilations), and one at least, Track 7, "The Night Before Christmas", sounds like a very young Willie Nelson. Many thanks for the music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for the song "On December 5 and 20" for several years now. I had made a cassette tape of several Christmas songs by various artists form vinyl records we had growing up, however, I forgot to write down the artist. The copy is of course scratchy and one of a kind. I have been worried about the cassette getting ruined and the songs lost to me. This is the first year I had luck from a google search. I now not only have a better copy of the song, I have the name of the album/artists too. All the vinyls were ruined in a house fire. Thank you for making this available. I am looking forward to surprising my mom with a copy of her very own this year.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...