Sunday, December 11, 2016

Kenny Baker-Carols For Christmas

Speaking of Kenny Baker, here's a full LP of songs from way back in 1958, which still makes it a lot newer than those other sides I just shared.  I first shared this out back in 2010, and I'm sure I made lots of Star Wars jokes at the time.  I'll try to avoid those this time and just tell you to please download Kenny Baker-Carols For Christmas From Kenny Baker (International Records LP 5125 (AKA Christmas Carols From Kenny Baker-Kenart LP KA-6), Mono, 1958). The cover down at the bottom is an alternate cover I found at some point.  Not sure if that's in the download or not...

1. O Holy Night
2. Joy To The World
3. Medley-It Came Upon A Midnight Clear and Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
4. Angels We Have Heard On High
5. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
6. The First Noel
7. Good King Wenceslas
8. Silent Night
9. While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night
10. Medley-Away In A Manger and O Come All Ye Faithful
11. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
12. White Christmas
13. Deck The Halls and Carol Of The Shepherds
14. Jingle Bells

Zippyshare

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! Enjoyed listening to this album, especially the song "White Christmas", which includes the additional lyrics mentioning Los Angeles and Beverly Hills which are added to the beginning of the second stanza instead of at the beginning of the song. My wife said she's heard the lyrics presented in this order before, but I don't. It's hard to image Los Angeles back in those days much less Christmas music being so popular that it repeatedly topped the charts as White Christmas did.

    Kenny Baker's album should be added to the list below.

    This is from Wikipedia:
    Original verse:
    Irving Berlin's opening verse is often dropped in recordings, but is included on A Christmas Gift for You from Philles Records, sung by Darlene Love, on Barbra Streisand's A Christmas Album, on the Carpenters' Christmas Portrait sung by Karen Carpenter, on Bette Midler's Cool Yule, on Libera's Christmas Album and on Crash Test Dummies' Jingle All the Way.[7]

    The sun is shining, the grass is green,
    The orange and palm trees sway.
    There's never been such a day
    in Beverly Hills, L.A.
    But it's December the twenty-fourth,—
    And I am longing to be up North—[18]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ernie,

    I had to laugh when I saw this post, as Kenny Baker is also the name of the actor who plays R2-D2 (well, operates him from inside, to be more precise) in all the Star Wars movies!

    Somehow I don't think it's the same guy...do you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, not the same guy. The actor passed away earlier this year, the singer passed away back in '85. I made my SW jokes back when I first posted this years ago.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...