Sunday, December 11, 2016

Christmastime Back Then

First off, let me tell you what a pain it is to record 78s.  One 78 is OK.  Two is tiresome.  Three takes forever.  All four of them in this set?  Next to impossible.  But I did it.  The sound is OK, not something that is going to have any archivists phoning me up and asking how I did it, not by a long shot.  The records were too far gone and I'm too lazy to keep trying.  But I think it's something to listen to.  I've had this set of 78s for a long time, and it was always missing one of the records.  But sometime in the past few years, I finally scored a set that at least had all the records.  I'm still missing a little paper insert that seems to have come with it, though.  The reason I wanted this set was to help complete the Kenny Baker discography, but once I got into it I realized that it also featured Eddie Dunstedter and David Rose, so that's a big plus.  You might only listen to it once, but please lend an ear to Christmastime (Decca 4x 10" 78 RPM A-488, 1946, Mono).  I know the Judy Garland was recorded & released before the war, and probably the Deanna Durbin as well.  Not sure about the provenance of the Kenny Baker tracks.  This is pretty early for a Christmas album.

1. Deanna Durbin With Charles Previn-Silent Night (Christmas Hymn)
2. Deanna Durbin With Charles Previn-Adeste Fideles (Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful)
3. Judy Garland With David Rose-The Birthday Of A King
4. Judy Garland With David Rose-The Star Of The East
5. Kenny Baker With Eddie Dunstedter-O, Little Town Of Bethlehem
6. Kenny Baker With Eddie Dunstedter-It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
7. Kenny Baker With Eddie Dunstedter-Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
8. Kenny Baker With Eddie Dunstedter-O Holy Night

Zippyshare

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ernie. Been wanting this one.

    I know what you mean about recording 78s. Takes forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have been the one who told me about this back after I shared that Kenny Baker LP, Buster. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it was me, although I do have quite a few Kenny Baker records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Ernie. Thanks for sharing.

    The Deanna Durbin songs were originally issued on Decca 18198 in 1941 (http://www.78discography.com/Dec18000.htm). The record is later advertised in the Dec. 14, 1942 issue of Life magazine.

    The Judy Garland songs were originally issued on Decca 4050 in Dec. 1941 (http://www.thejudyroom.com/decca/complete.html).

    I had previously tried (unsuccessfully) to date the two Kenny Baker songs I already possessed, but it appears that all four came out in 1938 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Music_(album) ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Men About Town? Never heard of them... Something else I need to find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men About Town rings a holiday bell. I think I may have that one.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thanks for your painstaking 78 rips Ernie.

    Thanks also for your background history of the 4x set, Buster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New link for 2018...

    https://mega.nz/#!4Md3xCzA!Na5wiSKYbw0EzthsJbw4eiy8y3vWyeC7h31rfgw5NaM

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...