Saturday, December 17, 2016

Because It's Red

Real quick, here's a little ten inch record for you I found on my trip to Texas a couple years ago with Jenn for a funeral.  We happened to be there one day after the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination, so after the obligatory visit to Dealey Plaza, we hit up a couple of book/record stores.  I normally leave the 10" records to my buddy Buster, but this one was on red vinyl, so I couldn't pass it up.  I don't think there's anything spectacular on here, just a deep-voiced vocalist from the early days of the religious Word label.  There does seem to be a lot of confusion over the name of the LP, though.  The front cover, if you hunt long enough, calls it Christmas Album!.  The back cover says Christmas Music By Frank Boggs.  And the labels on the pretty red vinyl say Christmas Songs By Frank Boggs. (Just to confuse matters, the spine is blank.)  I think I tagged it one thing and then named all the files something different.  Sorry about that.  It's all so confusing!  This is Frank Boggs, Organ Accompaniment By Hugh Waddill-Christmas Album! (Word 10" 33 RPM W2023-LP, Red Vinyl, Mono, 1955).

1. Joy To The World; While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night
2. Away In A Manger
3. The First Noel
4. We Three Kings
5. O Little Town Of Bethlehem; Silent Night
6. Thou Didst Leave They Throne; Joy To The World
7. I Wish You A Merry Christmas
8. Birthday Of A King
9. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
10. On Gazing At An Old Painting
11. Sweet Little Jesus Boy

Zippyshare

5 comments:

  1. Sure, leave all those 10-inchers to me - especially the red vinyl ones!

    I thought I had seen every Word issue in recorded history, so to speak, but this is a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess since Word is based out of Waco, I saw a lot of things I hadn't seen before. Shame there wasn't more time to dig, but we were there for a funeral after all. And they didn't have a Christmas section, I just happened across this and refused to leave empty-handed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ernie, I ran into your blog when I was researching the same record :) Because I have record player...okay a retro one but it is fabulous non the less :) and a love for music....I was given a huge stack of records....after a friend of the families father passed away...so I figure I would learn more about them. This one is in great shape but the (wax...I think) paper insert. A cute greeting card is still taped to the cover "please open this as soon as you get it" of course that note was not for me but the givers of the record. Also a note on the back from the gift givers that he had gone to their church. Although born 1960 I had to see why red vinyl records vs the norm of black was used. Love antiques...records....they tell a story that hopefully will never be forgotten...simple times...ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New link for 2018:

    https://mega.nz/#!4U1UzYhS!zitWQ6sAlvzQMoT_Pmo75QlYT0CwiNSKfxEwyw3J4Aw

    ReplyDelete
  5. George Fonfara,I have just listened to my LP of Frank Boggs. I bought the LP some thirty five years ago. I love Franks expressive voice,and my favourite track is, Sweet little Jesus Boy.It is a beautiful song,beautifully sang. Thank you Frank. May our Dear God bless you, and your family.

    george

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...