Tuesday, December 11, 2007

No More Fred Waring


I just posted two albums and an EP by Fred Waring And The Pennsylvanians. Quite often after I've posted a group of records by a single artist, I'll get an email or a comment asking about another album, and can I post it. Well, I want to head off some of those comments here. The Fred Waring albums above and below, The Meaning Of Christmas (Capitol ST 1610) and The Sounds Of Christmas (Capitol ST 1260), have been released on CD and are available here under the name Christmas Magic (see below). You might not know it, because they've given the collection a new title and new artwork, but it's all the same recordings. If you're a lover of old album art like me, you might want to download and print these scans to go with your CD copy.

I think the two albums above were first combined years ago into the double LP you see below, again with the name Christmas Magic (Capitol STBB-347), and a new cover. I don't know that you'd really want a copy of this cover, but here it is just in case.

This last LP, Now Is The Caroling Season (Capitol T896), I need to look up. I think it's on CD. Yes, but it's out of print at the moment. Plenty of used copies floating around, so I'm not going to share it out.

I've got another LP from The Pennsylvanians that's got one side of Christmas music that seems to have been a promotional LP for the E.F. MacDonald Company, but I'm too lazy to scan it in right now. And they did some of their own songs and played backup for Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra on a Reprise Christmas collection. Again, I'm too lazy to go scan it.

6 comments:

  1. I have the LP "Now Is the Caroling Season", but it sounded good for its age. In addition to that, I have the LP "'Twas the Night Before Christmas", but this track still remains a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for posting the cover art. Is there any way you could post the liner notes at the same level of detail?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyway you can post the music now that the vintagevideo link does not work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. Sorry. I'm sure it'll be back out soon enough. Sharing out stuff just because you can't purchase it right this second is one of the things that can get you in trouble with the folks who own the rights to this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A year later and it's still not back in print, Ernie! Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now is the caroling season is so fitting this season.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...