Sunday, December 09, 2007

Three Suns Sunday-Part Four


Well, here it is, the one you've all been waiting for. Well, sorta. Ever since I found this last month, I've been excited about it. This is really the place where The Three Suns made their Christmas reputation. They actually made it in stereo, but all I've found so far is the mono version. But I did finally find it, and for that I am grateful. (I may have a line on a stereo copy, but that's still in wait-and-see mode.) But everything else I have shared out by The Three Suns is in mono, so this isn't going to be out of place at all. I'm sure there are people out there sharing stereo copies if you must have one, so do a quick search and you'll find them. I only share out stuff that I own and ripped from my own vinyl, so I'm not going to grab it elsewhere and share it here. Trust me, you're going to be happy when you hear this. This is maybe the most amazing Christmas album ever. I can't say enough about it. You just need to download and listen to The Three Suns-A Ding Dong Dandy Christmas! (RCA Victor LPM-2054, 1959). (Note how the title even includes an exclamation point. Sorta like Esquivel!) Only ten years from their first Christmas album, they had worked their way up to this! Of course, there were two albums of Christmas tunes in-between, so obviously the group loved their holiday music. I've got a few Christmas singles and individual tracks from The Suns still to come, so don't go away just yet.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Ernie, I've seeking this one for ahile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this in my family since I was a kid -- In Living Stereo.

    This record lives up to it's legend, hands down.

    Speaking of legneds, there was an "urban legend" at the time. According to my mother, this really was not the actual Three Suns, but an assembly of musicians under the Three Suns "brand".

    She says that there was a lot of comment that Al Nevins never played the guitar in person as well as he did on this recording (for example).

    Regardless of who did performed on this album, you'll have to look far and wide to find a more inventive, creative and joyful record than this one.

    There are loads of great tunes, and some fine light-jazz guitar work on here. It doesn't run more than a few bars, but those bars are really awesome.

    Thanks Ernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie,
    Check the Cool wax has this one in Stereo shared HERE.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet find!

    It almost looks like the mono cover was designed first? It looks better than the stereo cover, with all its marketing language...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...