Thursday, December 13, 2007

Incompatible Christmas


Here's another record that at first I didn't associate with the one I just shared out. Then I looked a little closer. The doodle on the back is the same, some of the recording credits are the same, and it has that same cheap look about it. This one credits different artists, the art is obviously different and it's on a different label. After recording it, I discovered that some of the tracks are even the same, even though they are credited to someone else. But there are two extra tracks here, so I'm giving it to you! This one is Christmas Favorites-Special Holiday Issue-Current Hits Volume 22 (Hit Records MA 543, 1964). The songs are credited variously to The Music City Choir With Band, The Music City Carol Singers or William Randolph. Are there 22 more Christmas records in this series? No, I think this was part of a series where they cranked out covers of current hits, and then hoped that your old parents would buy them, thinking they were getting the versions that the kids wanted. I don't know how that would have worked with Christmas tunes, but maybe. Again, I like some of the arrangements on here, I just wish for better production values and cleaner vinyl.

2 comments:

  1. Not to nitpick, Ernie, but if this is volume 22, then there would be at least 21 more in the series. Shutting up now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Current hits? Yeah, they sound pretty current.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...