Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Return Of The Waring


I've shared a lot of things with you this year that I've referred to as one of the most popular shares ever, but guess which one's actually got the most downloads of all? That's right, it's this humble little Fred Waring LP. I've shared it out in 2005 and again in 2006, and both years it's gotten more downloads than anything else. More than Charo, more than the Moog, more even than Santa Claus Conquers The Martians. So if for some reason you don't have it yet, please download Fred Waring And The Pennsylvanians-'Twas The Night Before Christmas (Decca DL 8171, 1955). This is the first year I've brought you the original cover, though. Previously I brought you the MCA reissue cover, which is pretty much the same, except for the little Decca Hi-Fi logo up there. I wanted to be a little more authentic with you this year, so I scanned in this older one. It's not in the download, so if you want it, save it to your hard drive now.
By the way, did you know there was a companion album to this one? Stand by...

7 comments:

  1. Ernie, this my favorite Christmas album of all time. I must have at least 15 copies of it. My Dad gave me this in 1955 the year it came out and it became the album that my family always associated first with Christmas. You can't have Christmas without Fred Waring. The version of 'Twas the Night is different from the one Fred first released in 1942 where he actually spoke in the introduction of the song.

    As far as the Christmas Time album is concerned, half of that album was originally released in 1950 on 78 RPM (Decca 801).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite Christmas album as well. As a kid, the first side was always a treat to listen to. Like commander salamander, the first album my family thinks of at Christmas is this album.

    Years ago, I was trying to find copies of this album, as our copy is pretty well worn. I did find it on cassette, which I still have. I also found a copy at an estate sale under the title 'Jingle Bells' and it was missing one song from the second side (not sure which, my brother has the album). I'll have to get the album back so I can get more details on it. Obviously it was a re-release, but I'm curious as to what year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder this album is your most popular download...it's worth it just for the brilliant Jingle Bells medley that opens the first side.

    I wonder how much money the label is depriving itself by not giving this a proper CD reissue...

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this your most downloaded share by a wide margin or is it neck and neck with another one? Enquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe 10 percent more... Changes from day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 47 now and this was definitely the most worn out record in our family's Christmas collection. My sisters and I always sang along with the "Rudolph" and "Twas the..." songs. So glad you shared this with us here, as I'm sure If I tried to rip a copy from that old lp it would be horrible. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does this version of "Twas the night..." end with "Twas the night after Christmas..."? I have a copy of Fred Waring's "Twas the Night..." that doesn't contain that little ending snippet and I'm looking for a copy that does have it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...