Saturday, December 16, 2023

Burke's Law

I'm always excited when I come across vintage Christmas records that are completely new and unknown to me. I was recording a various artists record from the mid-sixties that Columbia put together for the Philco division of Ford when a track from this record turned up. It was a bit of a mystery to me since I could place every other track on the record (half of them were the usual Columbia stalwarts, the other half were drawn from the Roulette stable of artists), but this artist was completely new to me. A few minutes of research at Discogs and the record was on it's way. Turns out this family group was pretty big in the Sixties with appearances on the variety shows of the day like Ed Sullivan. According to Discogs, they only released two albums, and according to the back of this one there might be a stereo copy out there somewhere. I'll keep looking for it, but in the meantime use your one good ear to give a listen to The Burke Family Singers-Caroling At Christmas (Squire SQ 33005, Mono, 1964).

1. If Ye Would Hear The Angels Sing
2. The Little Drummer Boy
3. Bring Your Torches, Jeanette, Isabella
4. O Come, Little Children
5. Three Christmas Spirituals: Behold That Star; Mary Had A Baby; Go, Tell it On The Mountain
6. I Sing Of A Maiden
7. The First Nowell
8. Christmas Day Rises Clear
9. Carol Of The Bells
10. I Wonder As I Wander
11. I Saw Three Ships
12. Le Sommel De L'Enfant Jesus
13. Christmas Echo Song (Echolied)
14. Jesus Falls Asleep
15. Silent Night

MEGA

8 comments:

  1. They might have appeared on Ed Sullivan but all I remember are the Beatles and Senor Wences. Also those plate spinners. Maybe these people spun plates while they sang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't look to see if there were any Youtube clips, but I assume they're out there. You can see what you were missing. Did you see The Beatles in their first Ed Sullivan outing? That must have been something!

      Delete
  2. There are!
    https://youtu.be/XuQjl8812eo?si=vsaBP29cvuNQNry-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ernie, I saved this one to listen to on a very long bus ride. Even then, I gave up after 10 songs. I only finished it on my return journey.
    Besides, changing the lyrics to the Little Drummer Boy, is unforgivable to my ears...
    Otherwise, worth a listen, but not a group I would want a complete album collection of. But there are very few, that are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why they only ever released two albums...

      Delete
  4. Just saw a clip-on YouTube. Yes, talented. I wonder if any of the kids had lasting damage being forced to sing in this group? Plus, did they ever get a penny from this, or were they only used? You can tell, I am NOT a fan of exploiting minors under 16 years of age in any profession. Besides, they look too sugar coated to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen them on any talk shows, so maybe they turned out OK. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...