Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Audiographed Part 5

I think I bought this next album just for the cover. I didn't care what the music was like, but I knew I liked that cover art. It was only later that I realized it was very familiar, possibly because I had been flipping through the stacks and seen something quite similar. It turns out that I hadn't seen anything similar but a carbon copy on a reissue from a budget label with no credits and no hint of this original release. So I'm very happy to have found an original copy with all the credits in place to share with you tonight. Pretty sure I brought this home from that one weekend I spent in NYC right before Christmas one year. I visited a dozen record stores with plans to visit a dozen more, but then I got sick and all my plans went out the window. I was barely able to make it onto my flight and get home, but I was able to bring a nice stack of Christmas records home with me. This is Anne Phillips Choir-Directed By Malcolm Dodds-Noel Noel (Stere-O-Craft #17, Mono, 1960). And I almost forgot to mention the autograph there on the front cover. I could have easily removed this one, but I thought it added a little something to the package.

1. Alleluia
2. The First Noel
3. Angels We Have Heard On High
4. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
5. Jesus The Christ Is Born
6. Silent Night
7. Touro Louro Louro
8. Deck The Halls
9. Good King Wenceslas
10. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
11. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
12. O Little Town Of Bethlehem & A Christmas Prayer

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later in this busy season, but I need to take down this share. You can buy this LP on CD from Amazon or directly from the artist (with bonus tracks, no less). She seems to still be an active performer, so I want to make sure I'm not taking money out of her pocket. Go get this great music directly from the source!

11 comments:

  1. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, I was wondering if you might have any of those Great Christmas Series Albums from the Goodyear Tire Co. ? Maybe entire series and or the Years of 1969 thru the final year in the 1970's. If you could Please & Thank You Post some of those it would be a nice present for all... The Firestone Tire Co. Christmas Holiday Albums Series was also another great old set too. The Readers Digest Also had some extremely great Christmas Holiday Series in Box Sets. I see that Many other Companies later joined in with a Christmas Holiday Series too. These All have some great Singers & songs on them, they all did bring back those Family Memories to millions of folks. Your Christmas Card should be arriving soon from Vermont. A Million Thank Yous Again for all that you have done. Stan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note. And yes, I have lots of those, if not all of them. But most of those tunes have been reissued time and again and you can legally download them or stream them or buy the vinyl new at the store. This blog is about things that you can't find at Amazon or iTunes or your local record store. Much of the exclusive tunes from the Goodyear series have recently been compiled by Real Gone Records, you can buy it on CD from them, and you should. Supporting the reissues of this stuff will bring more of it to general release and make this stuff better known.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if Anne Philips is the same person who put out a well regarded vocal record for Roulette in 1959.

    https://www.discogs.com/master/772363-Anne-Phillips-Born-To-Be-Blue

    Malcolm Dodds is possibly the singer who made an LP for Camden in 1964.

    https://www.discogs.com/master/626126-Malcolm-Dodds-Try-A-Little-Tenderness

    I know I have the Roulette LP and probably the Camden, so I suppose I could investigate. Thanks - very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we know she was married to a Ben, so if you can put together a family tree, perhaps you can sort it all out. Good luck, let me know what you figure out!

      Delete
    2. Discogs seems to think it's the same Anne Phillips, but you never know if that's fact or speculation. They also say she's married to a Bob, not a Bill...

      Delete
    3. Some time next month I have got to listen to that "Born To Be Blue" album!

      Delete
    4. Gotta get through Christmas first. :)

      Delete
  3. It's the same person, per her website. She was primarily a studio singer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so it is. And she's selling this same music on CD. I'm gonna take down my share. At least people will know about the music.

      Delete
    2. Sorry - didn't mean to interrupt things around here.

      Delete
    3. No, no, my bad for not looking. I didn't even have to look hard, I just assumed. I've got plenty of other shares, don't worry. :)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...