Thursday, December 14, 2023

Trombone Christmas

We've had Christmas music played with just about every instrument you can imagine around here, but I suspect this is the first one with a trombone as the lead. That's right, a trombone. This appears to have been made by a gentleman who had a Christian ministry called Night Sounds, and this record was part of a series they put out called Treasury Of Sacred Music. This is volume seven in the series, and includes a couple of songs that were pulled from other records, but I don't know if those others were part of the series or not. So now you know just about everything I know about this record. Give it a download and listen, let me know what you think. This is Bill Pearce-Christmas In The Air (NightSounds 608025X (NightSounds Treasury Of Sacred Music Vol. VII), Stereo).

1. Sleigh Ride
2. I Wonder As I Wander
3. Ready For Christmas
4. Carolling, Carolling
5. White Christmas
6. What If He Hadn't Come?
7. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
8. The Christmas Song
9. Go Tell It On The Mountain
10. No Room
11. Love Was When
12. Once In Royal David's City

MEGA

12 comments:

  1. There was a Bill Pearce that worked for WMBI/Moody Radio, years ago. There also, was a show they (I believe) did, called Night Sounds. If memory is correct, I'd say, these are all related. Both Pearce and the fellow I heard do Night Sounds (by the last name of Kellog, not sure on the spelling), had really deep, good Announcer voices. Thanks and again, Merry Christmas, praying for y'all.

    Romans 11:33-36 KJB

    Josh

    Church Podcast: https://www.sermonaudio.com/pleasantviewky
    Personal Podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/show/back-to-the-old-paths
    TIBPF Podcast: https://www.tibpf.sermon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are references to the Night Sounds show on the back of the sleeve, and this is something like Volume 7 in the Night Sound series. I'm probably not remembering that correctly, but it's something like that.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, haven't seen the record/cover data, figured it'd have some info therein.

    Romans 11:33-36 KJB

    Josh

    Church Podcast: https://www.sermonaudio.com/pleasantviewky
    Personal Podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/show/back-to-the-old-paths
    TIBPF Podcast: https://www.tibpf.sermon.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I suppose if we can have Tuba Christmas records, we can have Trombone Christmas records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear the Christmas trombone! If interested, here's an interesting obituary for Bill Pearce
    - Steve in PA
    https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/rrstar/name/bill-pearce-obituary?id=17952304

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - I know I have heard his program Nightsounds at one time or another.

      Delete
  5. I've seen a ukelin Christmas album - maybe you shared it here? I can't remember. Maybe the cover was more memorable than the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not me, never even heard of it. I thought you misspelled ukulele at first, but I looked it up. :)

      I've got an unkalung record coming up, but that doesn't appear to be a common name for the instrument. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  6. What with the overall dearth of recordings (and, especially, seasonal recordings) that feature the trombone, thank you for providing this example that, right after seeing it yesterday, I shared with a colleague who herself plays that notable instrument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking there aren't a whole lot of non-Christmas albums that actually bring the trombone to the forefront, but it's there on all sorts of recordings. Can't have a brass section without it! (Well, I guess you can, but not if you want that sad trombone sound...)

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...