Thursday, December 07, 2006

Two More Three Suns

At long last, I got to hear the Three Suns single I'd been hunting for! Friend-of-the-blog Pete read my recent post about what Christmas records I was missing from The Three Suns, and generously offered to share. Good as his word, he sent me the two songs from this 1951 single, as well as scans of the record itself. And to my surprise, the music was every bit as good as I had imagined, which is something that doesn't always happen. Sometimes you want something for a long time, then when you get it, it's a bit of a letdown. But that is not the case here! The first track here, Uncle Mistletoe, turns out to have a vocal by Texas Jim Robertson. I have to admit I have no idea who that is, but it's cool to hear someone singing over the typical Three Suns rhythms. The flip side, Sleigh Ride, is quite quirky, featuring some fake horse noises that I'm not sure about. What instrument is that? A squeaky violin? Is that noise coming from the accordion? No idea. (Can anyone tell me if this is the same version of Sleigh Ride that was released by The Three Suns back in 1949 on RCA Victor single 47-3924?) Pete was kind enough to give me permission to share his record with the rest of you, so here is the first music I've presented that I didn't own the actual record. Go get The Three Suns-Uncle Mistletoe/Sleigh Ride (RCA Victor 7" 45 rpm 47-4323, 1951). And when you're done with that, go check out the rest of my Three Suns shares (part 1, 2 , 3, 3.5, 4). It's all good! And don't forget to leave a nice comment thanking Pete for his generosity! PS-You can go get A Ding Dong Dandy Christmas here.

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Never heard this Three Suns tunes, Thanks Pete.





    http://v-rocket.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete - You made the Christmas fruitcake list! Thanks for passing this along to Ernie for the share!

    If your scoring at home, Pete gets an assist!


    Capt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!!! These will make great additions to my growing Three Suns set. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody-it's definitely my pleasure, and the least I can do to show thanks to Ernie (and the rest of you sharing bloggers) for all the great posts happening right now.

    Ernie, my guess is that the "horse" sound is indeed being made with the accordion. Something with tweaking one of the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sound very much like a stripped-down version of the same arrangement off of DING DONG DANDY CHRISTMAS --

    Which, in my opinion, is the best Christmas album ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never knew THIS christmas track by Three Suns existed! Any chance of a repost ? or any other Three Suns xmas not already reissued ? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...