Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Cleveland Rocks, Or Not...

Here's a little something for all my friends up in and around Cleveland. When I was up there in October, I found time and money to visit one thrift store, a small Goodwill on the northern outskirts of Akron, I forget the name of the community. (For those who know the area, it's across the street from the giant smokestack to God, or whatever it's called. You know what I mean...) Anyhow, I walked out of there with a small stack of vinyl that I had to smuggle home on the plane. One of those records was this Christmas album. Sixteen high school choirs from in and around the metro Cleveland area singing their favorite carols. I didn't buy it so much for the music as I did for the connection to the area I was in, and the fact that I recognized the spot on the cover. It's a great night shot of local landmark Terminal Tower and Public Square, all decked out for the holidays. There's no date on this record, but I'm going to say late fifties based on the haircuts and clothes of the teachers pictured on the back side. The music is the usual stuff you'd expect from high school chorale groups. Very competent, but not very memorable. I wasn't able to find anyone I knew from Cleveland who actually went to any of these schools, so if you have some connection to any of them, please chime in, I'd love to hear from you. So here's a share for all you folks in Ohio (The rest of you can download it too, if you want, I suppose), Christmas In Cleveland (Delta Records Of Ohio, Processed and Pressed by Columbia XCTV-84680/1). Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. WOW! Ernie, that's the Goodwill that I frequent, I live just a few miles from there. They always have bunches of old records, just picked up a few last week. I recommend the Cathedral Buffet (in front of the "smokestack to God")

    Erick
    Monsterama2000

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about a listing of the schools involved? or a scan of the liner or backside that shows them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erick-I read about that Cathedral Buffet online. I don't know if I could take the red carpet...

    Anon-Your wish is my command. I threw up a scan of the back cover. That was much easier than typing in the names of all those schools. Is there really a school up there called Magnificat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom went to Magnificat. it's an all-girls' private Catholic high school in Rocky River, Ohio, where i grew up. bay village and lakewood are the two adjacent west-side cleveland suburbs to rocky river. my mother also lived in Parma for a bit.

    this record sort of pre-dates any schooling for both of my parents and/or siblings, but what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie-Hooray, we finally have somebody who went to one of these schools. And it's the one I was most curious about, Magnificat. I was almost sure that had to be a joke of some sort. Thanks for the comment, and tell your mother we said Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife graduated from Magnificat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ask her why it's called Magnificat? That just seems like such a weird name...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey cool find! I know a lot of those schools. I know a few people who are going to Magnificat (Mags, for short). It's one of the last all girl HS's in the Cleveland area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ernie,
    My parents have this album and I remembering hearing it as a child.
    I'm always looking for old fun music like, Ohio by Brak, Outside a small circle of friends etc. But anyway I received an e-mail back from the archivest from the Cleveland Orchestra who sent me to you! Thanks for the good memories!!!
    Best Regards,
    Tom Cope

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was on that album from Bedford High School! i recognize the jacket..swear its is still hanging about here someplace...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...