Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Light In The Darkness

OK, let's see if I can post something that's not on CD this time. Here's an EP from The Lighthouse Singers, a group of musically talented blind girls from the Lighthouse Music School in New York. Well, the liner notes don't specifically say it's all girls, but I don't hear any guys in there, just dolls. This is part 2 of a set, but I'm afraid I don't have the other(s). Searching around the net seems to tell me that this was also available as a single 12" with 10 songs. I don't know if that means there is one other EP with 6 songs, or maybe two EPs with 3 songs each or one EP with 4 songs and one EP with 2 songs, or... Well, you get my point. Anyhow, whatever was released, it came out on the "X" label, a subsidiary of RCA. I don't know how they decided who got on the main label, and who was on the subsidiary. They also had a Vik label, which you also rarely see stuff on, but it's certainly more common than "X". But whatever, lemme post this so I can go record something else before midnight. Please go listen to Christmas Carols By The Lighthouse Singers-Volume II ("X" EXA-17, 1957).

3 comments:

  1. That has got to be the best Christmas album cover yet. Wow! And I haven't even listened to the music yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a full length pressing (on X) that had the LP track list on the front (minus the "Volume II"). See for yourself:

    http://www.twitpic.com/1au0ul

    I agree that the cover art is divine for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I found that one a year or so later and shared out the whole thing.

    http://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2009/11/lighthouse.html

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...