Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Harmonicats, Sorta

Last night I mentioned this album when I posted my daily track for 25 Days Of Christmas, so I figured I should go ahead and share it so you'd know what I was talking about. This album was recorded by The Harmonicats, but not the same group that brought you great space-age pop hits like Peg O' My Heart, etc. This is a group founded by one of the members of that original group, Don Les. The group leader was Jerry Murad, and he seems to have been the one that had most of the talent. Compare any of the tracks on here with the one I brought you last night, and you'll see what I mean. Not that anything on here is bad, it's just not great. And on top of all that, it's a pretty crummy label. One of the songs listed on the the cover, Upon The House Top (sic), is not even on the LP. Instead, you get O Little Town Of Bethlehem. Also, if you look at the Christmas ornaments on the cover, you can see the reflection of the photographer and his tripod, over and over and over again. Not to mention the whole thing is printed crooked! Come on, people. And the recording? Let's just say that I swear I can hear the microphone bump a harmonica more than once. Those noises are on the record, folks, it's not my crappy recording. But now that I've bad-mouthed it, do you still want to download Christmas With The Don Les Harmonicats (Halo 1005)? (Note that there was a track from this LP on a various artists record from Halo I shared earlier this month.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing this is from 1975. Halo 1002 is a reissue from 1974, and label comp Halo 1007 ('A Family Christmas') is from 1976, and includes a cut from The Harmonicats.

    This sounds like mid-70s Nashville holiday background music should sound. It doesn't command attention like a front-and-center act, but I don't think it's trying to do that.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...