Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Other Lighthouse


Taking the Staten Island Ferry between Manhattan and Staten Island, you spot two lighthouses. I showed you one of them ages ago, and here's the other one. It's out in the water a bit, much closer to the Staten Island side, and by taking the pictures from different spots along the shoreline, you can make it look like it's in different places. It's a secret photographers trick, don't tell anyone. In the shot above, the lighthouse is in front of Jersey City. The concrete structure behind the light is some sort of sewage discharge structure built in 1915. So much for aesthetics.

In this shot, the little lighthouse is in front of the Statue of Liberty. Took me quite a bit of searching, but this appears to be the Navesink Lighthouse. Nope, I'm wrong. Robin's Reef is the name. I don't know why I had so much trouble finding that. The lighthouse is three years older than Lady Liberty, but I have a feeling both of them would lie about their age at this point.

And finally, in this wide shot, the lighthouse is in front of all of Manhattan. On a sad note, the twin towers of the World Trade Center should be dominating over all the other buildings in this picture. I think Ground Zero is pretty close to the center of this shot. I just wish the sky's had been clearer on the days I visited. These would be great photographs if it weren't for the haze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...