Thursday, April 16, 2009

Back The Other Way


After walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, I didn't want to go back the same way, so I decided to return across the Manhattan Bridge. It's a long walk...

The pedestrian amenities on the Manhattan Bridge aren't nearly so nice as on the Brooklyn Bridge. Instead of a wide boardwalk high above traffic, you're inside a cage. A narrow cage.

Something about this fancy ironwork says French to me, but I don't know why. I should look up the designer, but I am lazy.

Did I mention that on the Manhattan Bridge, you share the pedestrian level with trains? Really fast trains. Really loud trains, going both ways? In fact, you get fast loud trains going both ways very loudly at the same time. Look close in this picture and you'll see one on the upper deck and one on the lower deck. Did I mention they were loud?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...