Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ah, Memories


When I was a little kid, my grandmother had these flowers planted behind her house. When I'd stay over there, I'd play with them, thinking they were some kind of grapes. I knew better than that, obviously, because I never ate any of them, and besides, they were hollow. It wasn't until much later that I realized these were actually the flowers of whatever sort of plant this is. I think it may be a type of kalanchoe, but I'm not at all certain of that. I know that it propagates very easily from a leaf. In fact, if you look at the somewhat out-of-focus leaf in the shot below, you can see the notches in the circumference. If you pulled that leaf off and put it in the right place (which is basically anywhere it can get even a little light), each of those notches will produce a new plant. Pretty cool survival trait.

I shot these on Longboat Key a few years ago, If I remember correctly. You don't see these things too often. I think people are afraid to plant them in their garden because they take over with their quick propagation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...