Saturday, December 08, 2012

Christmas With Bing

Without a doubt, the greatest icon of Christmas music is Bing Crosby. His music means Christmas to many people, even more than half a century after it's first release.  Much of it has been collected and anthologized and re-released a million times, but there are still little bits of it out there that have been lost.  And after bringing you a lost radio show last year, this year I bring you Bing narrating the story of Christmas, with music by The Bonaventure Choir And Children's Chorus.  I'm not entirely sure who these people are, or when this was recorded, but it's not something that you can order from iTunes, that's for sure.  I'm sure you'll enjoy this little piece of lost history, so please download The Bonaventure Choir And Children's Chorus-Bing Crosby-Narrator-The Bible Story Of Christmas-The Traditional Carols In Gospel Sequence (World Library Productions WLP 8, Mono).

1. Behold A Virgin
2. Silent Night
3. The First Noel
4. A Child Is Born
5. Angels We Have Heard On High
6. O Come Little Children
7. Welcome Son Of Mary
8. O Come All Ye Faithful

(I have it on good authority that this is going to be reissued soon, so no more sharity. But when it comes out, I'll let you know!  -EH  28 Dec 2016)

10 comments:

  1. Thanks. These are such a treat to listen to. On a side note, I'm able to download the files on my IPAD with Media Fire. I've been unzipping them in an application called, "Good Reader" which can also play the files. I haven't tried any other applications for downloading, unzipping, and playing. I'm curious to hear what other users are using to download and play their Christmas music.

    Also, the torrents are working great. I've seeded off an on, but I've encountered a few files which have popped
    up with the error that "files are missing". I'm not sure why this is happening. I've left the files in place. Deleting and the reloading the torrent seems to fix it.

    Thanks again. Merry Christmas!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Changing anything about any file in a torrent - renaming, spelling corrections, etc. - will cause that file not to be recognized by a BT client and it will show up as "missing". This is true whether or not the entire torrent has been fully downloaded. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ernie for sharing this great find. Also, thank you for the many other great shares.

    Thanks,
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those who equates certain voices with Christmas entertaining and enjoyment, so having this gem by der Bingle is very cool. Many thanks, Ernie, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I work for WLP (formerly World Library of Sacred Music). This album was produced by our company in 1957 and release was limited to the Cincinnati area. I am happy to provide more information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry,

    Yes, please, tell us more! I was going to reshare this one in the next few days, and I'd love to add some more details to the story behind it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On second thought, it looks like it might not be the sort of thing that should be shared... :( May need to rethink that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is with great excitement I announce that this album has been reissued! The Bible Story of Christmas narrated by Bing Crosby is now available on CD for $10.00 from us at: http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/16811.htm and on limited edition vinyl for $25.00 at: http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/16807.htm You can always get the CD at Amazon.com

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...