Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Stereo Epic

Not really related to the other shares of the day, and not in a gatefold sleeve, this is still some good music, and in a unique form. This is probably the only Japanese Christmas record I will share with you this year., Unfortunately it's not Japanese music, but a Japanese issue of some English choral music. And it's pressed on beautiful transparent red vinyl, so it's fun to look at as it spins on the turntable. Give a listen to Royal Choral Society Conducted By Sir Malcolm Sargent-Stereo Christmas Carols (Angel (Japan) ASC 5198 (Transparent Red Vinyl), Stereo, 1960). I'll also throw in a scan of what I believe is the original English sleeve, just to be complete. No Stereo in the title of that one, I'm afraid, though it is a stereo copy. Oh, also forgot, there was an insert in the Japanese version, so I scanned that and dropped it in the package. You're welcome.

1. The Boar's Head Carol
2. On Christmas Day
3. Jesu, Word Of God Incarnate (Ave Verum)
4. Little David, Play On Yo' Harp
5. Zither Carol
6. Silent Night
7. Cowboy Carol
8. All God's Chillun
9. Star In The South
10. The Cherry-Tree Carol
11. To A Baby
12. Greensleeves (New Year Carol)
13. Shakespeare's Carol
14. Carol Of Beauty

MEGA

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this one! I posted a 1954 mono LP from these same forces about 15 years ago. I don't have this stereo disk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I very much appreciate the UK covers along with the ones from Japan!

      Delete
    2. I was just surprised to find a Japanese copy in the archives. And that red vinyl is always a nice surprise.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the share. It's very similar - but not quite the same as a 1955 UK album also by Sargent and the Royal Choral Society: https://www.discogs.com/release/2596527-Sir-Malcolm-Sargent-And-The-Royal-Choral-Society-Christmas-Carols I picked a digi version of that up on archive.org (I think)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar. I wonder what the story behind that is?

      Delete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...