Friday, December 01, 2023

Gettin' High

Last post of the day, I promise. (Well, we'll see...) I was giving some thought early in the year towards making entire series of posts with records that all featured the same cover. You know, those stock covers that seem to show up frequently on school & church choir records that you find at the thrift stores now and then. I got through recording a few of them, then my attention wandered off towards the next shiny thing. This is one of those records, now I just have to find the record I shared years ago that has the same cover. The name is escaping me right now... Anyhow, this cover is referred to as Ornaments 2 over at Discogs, and there's a long list of about 14 different albums that have used some variation of this cover image. I don't think that list includes this one, or the one I've shared before that I can't think of. If that sort of cover re-use fascinates you like it does me, there's a master list of these duplicate covers that runs to 832 different covers! It's an amazing effort, really it is, and I think they've only just scratched the surface. No one is entering these home-grown records into the database, so there's lots more to be found and entered. But is the music any good? That's up to you to decide. This is High Spirits, Past And Present-Youth Of Holy Spirit Parish-Merry Christmas To: You (AKA Christmas, 1973) (No Label 101651/101652, Stereo, 1973). Actually, it's not bad. They sound like they were having a good time. Enjoy!

1. Winter Wonderland
2. Sing We Noel
3. Go Tell It On A Mountain
4. Children Go
5. What Child Is This?
6. A Christmas Round
7. Away In A Manger
8. Do You Hear What I Hear?
9. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
10. Silver Bells
11. Wassail
12. White Christmas
13. Angels We Have Heard On High
14. 'Neath The Silent Stars
15. I Heard The Bells
16. Virgin Mary Had A Baby Boy
17. Drummer Boy

MEGA

8 comments:

  1. Guess who's tired and can't figure out how to work the comments? ANYWAY! I think I have one called Snowball by Sammy Poole that has the same cover. Haven't listened to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you were going to try to get some sleep this season? I wish I could remember the other record I've shared with this cover. I still can't come up with a name. I guess I share too much.

      Delete
  2. Heck of a first 7 days, Ernie...and it's only Dec 1st!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping it gets better. More themes, better shares, less random religious records, though those are never gonna stop! :)

      Delete
  3. We learned that arrangement of "Silent Night" ('Neath The Silent Stars') in school choir circa 1978, and I haven't heard it since, so I was amazed to hear it here.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...