Friday, December 06, 2019

Back To The Harmonicas

Today's remastered LP is this classic from a splinter group of the original Harmonicats. When I decided to re-record this one, the copy I found turned out to have a slightly different back cover that featured a picture of the band.  And as I looked at the picture and actually read the words, I realized that Don Les, former Harmonicat, was not the most famous person in the group.  That honor goes to Mildred Mulcay (not 'Mudcay' as they've decided to spell it...) of the famous Mulcays!  They may not have been as famous back in the day as The Harmonicats, but at least she was a primary member of the group, unlike Don Les.  I've made a lot of fun of this album over the years, but it's certainly grown on me, and it's far from the worst thing I've ever shared with you.  Maybe this new rip will make you a fan.  If not, at least you didn't pay anything for it.  I had to buy the album. I think this could have been a real classic if they'd pepped up the tempo a bit and added some backing instrumentation.  This is The Don Les Harmonicats-Christmas With The Don Les Harmonicats (Halo 1005, Stereo). Note that 'Upon The Housetop' is listed on the cover, but doesn't actually show up on the album. (Instead you get 'O Little Town Of Bethlehem'.)  If you read the notes closely, I don't think that's the only error here.  Halo was certainly a budget label.

1. White Christmas
2. The Christmas Song
3. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
4. Jingle Bells
5. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
6. Silent Night
7. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
8. March Of The Three Kings
9. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
10. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear

MEGA

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if you would listen to the 'Cats if they weren't playing Christmas music.

    I can't make fun of this because I have any number of harmonica records, although I draw the line at harmonica ensembles like this one.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...