Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Have A Gray Christmas

You may recall that The Free Design wanted you to hear the Now Sound of Christmas, but such sounds are few and far between.  A little tiny bit of that sound showed up on this private-press LP from a gentlemen here in Florida sometime in the early 70s. I first shared this with you back in 2008, and I've reripped it for your listening pleasure tonight. Listening to this again, I'm struck by not only the little bits of The Now Sound that pop up here and there, but also by how much Veo sounds a little like Don Pardo in places.  Close your eyes for a moment and just imagine either Veo MCing a game show, or imagine Don Pardo wishing you a Merry Christmas.  See what I mean?  Anyhow, this is a much nicer rip and in a much higher bitrate than before, so be sure you grab this one and give it a listen.  This is Veo Gray And The Jodie Lyons Singers-A Christmas Happening (Alaco Records SLP-2156, Stereo).  Note that the label name, Alaco, is just Ocala backwards. Ocala is a city in Florida where I think Veo was based. Somewhere I've got another LP from a church chorus that features him as music director, and I believe the church is in Ocala, or at least that same part of Florida.

1. Christmas Medley-O Little Town Of Bethlehem, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Angels We Have Heard On High
2. Deck The Hall
3. Jingle Bells
4. O Come, All Ye Faithful
5. O Come, O Come Immanuel
6. Rest Your Head
7. Silent Night
8. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
9. While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

MEGA

6 comments:

  1. Don Pardo with the Free Design you say? Why not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would always laugh at the end of SNL when Don Pardo would say "This is Don Pardo saying 'This is Don Pardo saying "Good Night!"'" I never heard him sing, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my all-time favorite Ernie shares. Glad to see this remastered, but now I can't stop hearing Don Pardo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to Billboard, this was released in June of 1970. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take it. Thank you for this upgrade.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...