Thursday, December 05, 2019

Gospel Goodie

I pick up a lot of gospel Christmas albums, but it's pretty rare that I listen to them.  They tend to all be the same, and not the sort of thing that excites me.  But this one sorta stood out for some unknown reason, and I put it on the turntable recently.  Turns out it's very good, somewhat different, and well worth a listen. Two different groups, both on their own and in a couple of joint efforts, as well as a handful of instrumentals that are really well done, that's what makes up this short album. The instrumentals are uncredited, so I put the name of the arranger in there, Jerry Nelson. There's not a whole lot more information on this album out there, it's not on Discogs, though I did finally find a copy at Rate Your Music. The two non-traditional songs on here, Holiday of Love and March Of The Three Kings are particularly great. I could see using them in a mix somewhere. I love finding unknown stuff like this and sharing it with you.  This is The Envoys & The Keystone Quartet-The Greatest Gift (Majestic Recordings LPS 1023, Stereo).

1. The Envoys & The Keystone Quartet-God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen-Go Tell It On The Mountain
2. Carol Of The Bells (Instrumental)
3. The Envoys-The First Noel
4. What Child Is This? (Instrumental)
5. The Keystone Quartet-Fum, Fum, Fum
6. I Wonder As I Wander (Instrumental)
7. The Keystone Quartet-The Christmas Song
8. The Envoys & The Keystone Quartet-O Come All Ye Faithful-Joy To The World
9. The Keystone Quartet-Holiday Of Love
10. O Little Town Of Bethlehem-Silent Night (Instrumental)
11. The Envoys-March Of The Three Kings
12. The Envoys-Still, Still, Still

MEGA

3 comments:

  1. Well, now. This is really enjoyable. Sort of....Gospel Folk. And certainly something I've never run across. Well done, sir. As always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got to hear this - Great stuff! Thanks for finding and sharing this
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...