Saturday, December 07, 2019

A Yellow Christmas

Looking at this record, I'm struck by how yellow it is.  And I can't think of a single other yellow Christmas album.  Surely there has to be something.  But I'm drawing a complete blank.  Hmmm, if you think of one, you'll have to clue me in down there in the comments.  In the meantime, I'm happy to share some Swedish Christmas music with you, by way of Chicago.  Some days I don't know how I find music like this, I think it must somehow find me.  Who else is going to bring you a glee club from Chicago singing Swedish Christmas carols?  Who else would give this album a second glance?  I was actually excited when I found it! But that's just me, your mileage may vary.  I'm not in a very talkative (typative?) mood tonight, so jumping right in, here is The Chicago Swedish Glee Club-Wayne Spies, Conductor-Sam Hill, Accompanist-For Your Christmas Collection-Wishing You God Jul-Merry Christmas (AKA Songs Of Christmas) (Chicago Swedish Glee Club U-63051, Stereo).

And I'm also too lazy to type out all these Swedish song titles with their umlauts and accents and carats and diacriticals and what not. Just download the ZIP file and you'll see what the songs are.

MEGA

13 comments:

  1. Since this is a Swedish Glee Club singing Swedish carols, my guess for their choice in using yellow and blue was to evoke Sweden's national flag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a point there, I didn't think about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Ernie, you have any idea of the date on this album? looks like 1950's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, that's too early, and it wouldn't be in Stereo if it were from the mid-fifties. Could be mid-sixties to early seventies, kinda hard to tell. Have to dig through some newspaper archives for a mention, but I don't have a subscription. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic addition to the collection. Thanks, Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Wayne Spies" and "Sam Hill" sure don't sound Swedish.

    Anyway, I looked on newspapers.com and didn't find any mention of the record.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite Christmas albums is Percy Faith - Music of Christmas. It has a yellow field: https://www.discogs.com/Percy-Faith-And-His-Orchestra-Music-Of-Christmas/release/2176108
    Thank you Santa Ernie,
    from an elf in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I'll give you credit for that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ernie-
    The Joy Strings Well Seasoned is quite yellow. It's also one of the greatest posts you've ever had.
    Thank you for everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, didn't think of that one either. Shows what I know. Still love that Joy Strings, but the group put it out on CD a few years ago. I think there was even more Christmas music on there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guessing this group was/is located out of the Andersonville neighborhood on the north side of Chicago. It's a hotbed of Swedes! There's even a museum there. Yeah, I used to live nearby, haha.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...