Saturday, December 25, 2010

Return Of The Christmas Cranes


Three years ago on Christmas I brought you a picture of some sand hill cranes in the back pasture at my parents' house.  And today I'm bringing you a picture of four of them walking down the road.  Once again, they hung out for hours.  They were there when I arrived around noon, and they were still hanging around when I left after five.  I think someone down the road feeds them, so they were hanging around waiting for a handout.  Seeing four of these guys together is no big deal, I've shown you groups that big before.  It's usually two adults and two full-grown children that haven't left yet for their own new families.  I think they stay together until it's almost time to start raising the next batch of little ones, then the youngsters fly the coop, so to speak.

2 comments:

  1. Great photo! Thanks for sharing it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great photos! I have just recently fallen in love with these magnificent birds because we happened to move to a lake in Michigan recently where these beautys have a sanctuary! We call them the Michigan Airforce because they are so sqwacky (loud) and fly in large groups! They leave the lake in the a.m. to feed in the fields of the area farms and never fail to return between 5:30 & 7:00 p.m. to their nests again for the sunset views of the lake! We have counted up to 123 returning in the evenings! Every year in October, there is an annual kayak siteseeing festival and tour, just to enjoy their charm & elegance! Your photos, site & music are very much enjoyed and appreciated! Thank you so much for sharing and for all you do! Keep up the great work! Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...