Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Christmas Of Mixed Blessings


When the light hit the old dead tree behind Mom and Dad's house just right this evening, it made for a much better picture than I expected. You've seen this tree plenty of times before, but mostly in closeup with a hawks or a kestrel or even a woodpecker in it, but never in a wide angle full-color shot like this. I think you've even seen it with the full moon in the frame (not that I can find a link for that...). But here it is in it's field, surrounded by the vegetation that's dead due to a quick freeze a couple weeks ago. It was about 66 degrees F this afternoon, nice weather for shorts and short sleeves. Today was Christmas, but it almost didn't feel like it. Not because of the weather though, but because most of the scheduled festivities for the day were canceled. Our families usual big get-together had already been put of until New Year's Eve because one of the cousin's couldn't make it until then. And then we were supposed to have dinner at my brother's house, but his whole household got sick and canceled. Then Mom was not-quite over being sick, so she really wasn't able to do much. So at the last minute I called a friend and asked if maybe they had a little room at their table for me and my Dad, and sure enough, we got to go over there and spend a few hours celebrating over a fine meal that still had plenty of leftovers even though there were twice as many people at the table as planned. I guess that's what Christmas is all about. No, not the weaseling your way into someone elses's celebration, but sharing what you have with those who might otherwise have gone without. We certainly didn't need to go anywhere else and eat, we could have thrown something together, but it was nice to be able to celebrate together. Long story, but I had to have something to go with a nice picture of a dead tree. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. We did, thank you. Sorry to hear about the various bad luck. This has been a bad holiday season for getting ill. (Or, I suppose, a *good* season from the viruses and germs' point of view.)

    Sounds like you had good fellowship, and, yes, the spirit of sharing is the essence of the holiday. Thanks for the interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to Ernie (Not Bert)'s The Very Best From Christmas In July 2010. Is it too late to create a track list to the original posts at least? Certainly, cover art isn't necessary.

    Without many singles this season, I thought this would be a great addition to your seasonal posts. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a collection is all set, just needs to get made into MP3 form and some artwork put on it. That's what I was working on when I got sick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said son.. It will be a Christmas to remember in other than material ways... love mom

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...