Friday, December 24, 2010

Leibert Upgrade

One of the things I regret not finding time to do this year was to run through the entire Dick Leibert Christmas discography.  It took years of work, but I've got almost all of the Christmas stuff he did.  I think there's one Reader's Digest release I don't have, but that one won't elude me forever.  One of the surprises I discovered some time back was that this LP was released in stereo.  How did I find that out?  Why, I found the stereo record!  And now I'm sharing it with you.  However, the stereo release drops two songs from the mono release, since I guess they couldn't fit all that stereo sound into the vinyl somehow.  It happens.  So if you want to hear everything, you're gonna have to download this stereo one and the mono one I'm resharing down at the bottom of the post.  It won't kill you.  This is Dick Leibert-Christmas At Radio City With Dick Leibert (Westminster WST 15017, Stereo).  Not sure when they put this on vinyl.  I think it was a tape release before they could press stereo records.


1. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
2. O Tannenbaum
3. O Sanctissima
4. Deck The Halls
5. Fairest Lord Jesus
6. What Child Is This?
7. Good King Wenceslas
8. The Christmas Song (O Holy Night)
9. Silent Night
10. Joy To The World

RapidShare
MegaUpload
MediaFire


From back in 2007, here's the mono version, including two songs not on the stereo copy above.  Please download Dick Leibert-Christmas At Radio City (Westminster WP 6035, Mono, 1956).

1. We Three Kings Of Orient Are
2. O Tannenbaum
3. Adeste Fideles
4. O Sanctissima
5. Deck The Halls
6. Fairest Lord Jesus
7. What Child Is This? (Greensleves)
8. Good King Wenceslas
9. The Christmas Song (O Holy Night)
10. Angels We Have Heard On High
11. Silent Night
12. Joy To The World

RapidShare
MegaUpload
MediaFire

6 comments:

  1. Ernie,

    Thanks for all you shares throughout the year. At Christmas time however, I can always count on you to post some great things. Merry Christmas to you.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radio City - nice!

    Thanks so much for all the shares Ernie - have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie,
    Another great year of shares. Memories, like good wine, improve with age. Thank you for bringing back some days of yore!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ernie,

    Merry Christmas and thank you for all those nice posts through the year.
    I might be able to help you with the Reader's Digest Leibert album.
    I have an album titles "C'est Noël à l'orgue" published in Canada. Interspersed between the 5 LP, I have all the Leibert's tracks included on "The Organ Plays Music For A Merry Christmas" plus "Silent Night".
    If you would like to get those tracks and the French cover, I can email it to you. Just let me know. I already have your gmail address.

    Victor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the offer, Victor. I'd enjoy hearing the tracks, but I'm gonna keep searching for my own copy that I can share out here at the blog.

    Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought I'd post an historical note. I found the stereo album years ago and transferred it to CD, cleaning up as much as I could and sold it on Ebay at one time. A buyer of this private re-issue who was a friend of Leibert's way back then wrote me to tell me that this album was not recorded at Radio City, but at a church in Bronxville, NY! This probably explains why the Richmond recordings have on the LP label "Byrd Theater, Richmond, VA" while this album says only "Dick Leibert, organ." He could not elaborate if RCA had anything to do with it or not, but re-listening with this information, I can now hear the more "classical-churchy" sound, even though Dick uses lots of reeds and mixture combos, and keeps the vibrato on almost constantly.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...