Sunday, December 20, 2009

Maid Marion


This is a little bit more on the operatic side of things than what I usually like, but I don't think it's so far into that territory that you can't enjoy it. I posted this last year in response to a post by CaptOT at his blog of a later 12" LP from Ms. Anderson. I think his post is still good, and now mine is too. Please help yourself to Marion Anderson Sings Christmas Carols With Franz Rupp At The Piano (RCA Victor Red Seal 10" 33 RPM LM 7008, Mono).

1. Silent Night
2. Oh! Little Town Of Bethlehem
3. Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful)
4. The First Noel
5. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
6. Cantique De Noel
7. Angel's Song
8. Hallelujah

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have some pretty rare delights on this blog! Is Marion Anderson the singer who wasn't allowed to sing in the White House so she sang for Kennedy on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial? I'm a friend of Uncreative -- she's been nudging me to check out your blog and today I finally broke down. She warned me about the Christmas music...and you do not disappoint! I've got a lot of listening to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's Marion Anderson. Times have changed a lot since her day. I don't think she was supposed to sing in the White House, she was supposed to sing at the Daughters of the Confederacy, or something like that. I remember seeing the spot she was supposed to sing when I was in DC. With Ms. Uncreative, I believe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I think you're right, and it was FDR, not Kennedy. Woopsie! Eh, since we're both so much younger than that I guess we're both excused. I do believe Ms. Uncreative was supposed to accompany her but was called to Carnegie Hall at the last minute...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...