Sunday, May 06, 2007

Volume 12 For Hi-Fi Living


Well, here it is, the post that many of you have been waiting for. Volume 12, the final installment of the For Hi-Fi Living series. It's taken longer to get there than I expected. I should have been done with this series back in March, yet here it is the first weekend in May. I hope the wait was worth it. I have to admit that these haven't been the most exciting records to cross my turntable in the past 5 months. But they're still nice artifacts of an age gone by, when a record was an investment in a lifestyle, an ideal, a sort of class statement that you could purchase at the department store. Before I get carried away in my yapping, why don't you go start downloading this installment, Malcolm Lockyer And His Orchestra-We're Having A Party-Volume 12 For Hi-Fi Living (RCA Custom RAL-1012, 1957). This is the second installment from Malcolm, in case you recognize the name.
I believe that the whole series is still available for download, so let me give you the links to those posts, in case you've just stumbled across the collection:
Which of these has been the most popular? Well, let's see... Um, the first installment, I Could Have Danced All Night, has been downloaded 186 times. That's probably not a fair assessment, since it might have the most downloads because it's been up the longest. Maybe we should have a vote on which volume you liked the best? Leave a comment and tell me which one was your favorite. I think mine was Latin Holiday, but that's because I've been digging the Cha-Cha-Cha for a while now. Now that I'm done with this, I can burn off the 2G of original wave files on my HD and use that space for something else. Big thanks to everyone who's downloaded these records, and especially to those of you who left nice comments and waited patiently for the final few volumes. It's always great to hear from you!
PS-Stay tuned all week if you want more music to download. Now that I've got this series out of the way, I've got a backlog of stuff that I didn't want to share until I was done. If all goes to plan, I'll be posting a new LP every day this week, and I've got some real humdingers in there for you.

20 comments:

  1. Ernie, the wait was certainly worth it. These records were originally issued for a purpose - to be used as background music - and not only did they fill that purpose admirably, any one of them would have been judged as way above average in the general light music genre from the standpoint of arrangements, selection of tunes etc., and they didn't need to be exciting at all.

    The only one I consider not to have fitted the series was the "Jocelyn McNeil" organ record - I thought it was out of place in what should have been a strictly orchestral series.
    A very minor criticism.

    I for one would not like to stick my neck out and state in a vote that any one was better than any of the others. In the final analysis much depends on one's personal likes and dislikes regarding the choice of tunes.

    As one who has downloaded all 12, I think that we owe you the big thanks for sharing them.

    And I am anxiously awaiting your coming posts from you backlog.

    Thanks again and best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ern'!
    I quite agree with "mel" in the mildly criticism about Jocelyn McNeil but that's not your fault so please don't cry now.. we all love and appreciate your sharings. I must say that I have, like "mel", eagerly been wating for these albums to be shared here and it was well worth the waiting.. now I simply can't wait for you to share some of the goodies you shouldn' buy but did and what a luck for us it was that you did. I myself is a sucker for Xavier Cugat.
    All the best of luck from Sweden and telia22.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie,

    You're starting to sound more neurotic than me. That's not good....

    Just kidding. Been there, am there. Music blogging is almost like doing three or four live radio shows simultaneously. Ever get that feeling?

    Congratulations again on your EP score. Whatever you did to get on the Thrifting God's good side, keep doing it! And let me in on the secret. (As opposed to "The Secret.")

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Volume 12 For Hi-Fi Living
    records corrompidos

    Heriberto Richer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anybody else had any trouble with this download? I just dowloaded it myself, and it seems to unzip and play just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I guess that's what they call a wrap. Thanks for this set. I have been adding them to one cd and playing them in the evening for company. The comments are varied but always complimentary of the music and sound,( "This was recorded when?" " Ha! Before you were born buddy!") Thanks again. LP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ernie,

    Great series!
    No problem to download this one.
    Indeed, it was certainly worth waiting for it. Many thanks for sharing these beauties!

    Greetings from Belgium,
    Ludo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Licorice Pizza, all of these are great background music and I have enjoyed them all.

    I actually have volume 5 and I figured it would take years to find them all.

    Thanks for the undertaking of uploading them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Ernie:

    Asking us to judge which record we like the best is like asking which child we like the best. We love them all and all for some of the same reasons, some for different reasons. They all have traits we wish we could clone for others and some we wish they did not have. These 12 "children" are all individuals, but all in the same family. Even Jocelyn's Organ music has a place at our table.

    No trouble with the down load. Recall I did get gurgles on one that I downloaded, but went back and re-downloaded it and it was perfect. A friend tells me it was "line noise" and that it happens from time to time. I have no idea but what he said seemed to make sense to my electronic ignorance.

    Thanks for the great ride. Put these in a play list, scramble them up and enjoy over six hours of no commercial pleasure.

    Enjoy your trip to the cereal State, the land of fruit, nuts and flakes. No offense Mr. Bongolong!

    Fixxitt in Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to hold my final judgement for a while longer yet, as it's just too hard to decide which is best. Right now, I have about 11 that are neck and neck - didn't care much for the organ one, but that wasn't wasn't your fault. Thanks for sharing, Ernie!
    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to say that, upon notification that a certain cool wax blog was basically going offline, I am eagerly looking to capture the best of the best out there at the moment and this series has been the highlight of my discoveries to date. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ernie,
    I just want to say thanks for posting this series. A couple of years ago I purchased about 2000 jazz oriented LPs and in that stack were Volumes 2 & 9. I liked those but couldn't find any more or anything about them-so I'd given up. What a treat to find your site. Thanks for sharing. It takes alot of effort to post music from vinyl-thanks for that to.
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all 12!
    I got here late, but the links still work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any chance of a re-upload of this series? It would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Ernie!

    Can you re-upload this album?
    This blog is great, you are an excellent collector!
    I really looking forward to upload.

    Thank you very much!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Discovering these incredible HiFi Living LPs as well as your amazing blog !
    May I ask a re-up of Vol.12? please...
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite was also Latin Holiday. I could listen to it all day!!! Thanks so much for all you do to preserve this classic music.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having some trouble downloading this one. I keep getting the message "This site can’t be reached" from Rapdishare. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is eleven years old, the record isn't shared anymore. Sorry. I'll eventually get it re-recorded and shared out again, but not any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh gosh!!! I didn't even notice that since the other volumes were from this year. Sorry about that. Looking forward to the re-share.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...