Sunday, December 31, 2006

Volume 1 For Hi-Fi Living

As the year draws to a close, I wanted to start a new series of shares with you. Christmas shares are still 11 months away, but I like the attention I get when I share stuff out, so I'm going to try to share more with you this year from my off-the-wall record collection. Many months ago, I shared the doodle from the back of this record with you, and it was the only time I was ever able to track down the artist and say howdy. That doodle actually appears on all 12 of the records in this set, and sometime during this past year, I managed to lay my hands on every single record in the set. So, with a little luck, I'll be able to get all 12 volumes up here for your enjoyment. This set was marketed to people who were new to the world of hi-fi, and needed something to play to show off their new equipment. I've found very few references to this set online, with the exception of people trying to sell the individual records. I suspect it's a bit difficult to put the entire set together these days, since they couldn't have sold too many of these. They all appear to be in mono (which makes sense with a release date of 1957), and with the advent of stereo in 1958, who wanted to buy mono records to show off on the hi-fi? But you'll enjoy them. The first one is quite mellow, but it has it's moments. Be sure to keep coming back and complete the set! Here's Hill Bowen And His Orchestra-I Could Have Danced All Night; Vol. 1 For Hi-Fi Living (RCA Custom RAL 1001, 1957). I've never seen any other records in this number series (RAL). Is it possible this was all they ever used it for?

10 comments:

  1. Ernie, as a newcomer to your blog, I want to thank you for making this year's holidays so much better! Simply put: your site rocks! As a long time vinyl fan (of the offbeat) I cannot thank you enough. Happy New Year to you!

    Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely orchestra, splendid arrangements, wonderful music - which, more's the pity, the likes of which you don't often hear nowadays.

    I'd love to hear more of these.

    Best wished for a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey ernie! what a neat share. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good, just my style - thanks!
    PW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I should get busy and record volume two...

    ReplyDelete
  6. In one of those moods, so am listening to the whole series again. Just wanted to thank you for sharing such great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance of a reupload on this series? Would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's coming back!

    http://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2017/01/volume-one-ten-years-on.html

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...