Tuesday, December 20, 2005

World's Greatest, Honest


Here's a unique record I picked up a while ago, again because I liked the cover. Sometime later, a friend was showing me vacation pictures, and she had a shot of her family in the exact same spot, only during the summer. Turns out this is a popular picture spot in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I didn't recognize the names, so I figured it was a small one-off thing for friends or family, but I recently found a much earlier LP on Atlantic, I think, from the same group. A few minutes on Google and I realized these guys had quite a history. The music on this LP is pretty good, but nothing here is going to knock your socks off, like oh, say, the rest of the stuff I have scheduled for this week, but I think you'll enjoy it. Some of the tracks have a vocalist doing his best imitation of Satchmo, which is interesting, since Satchmo didn't record nearly enough Christmas music in his lifetime. Anyhow, please download and give a listen to The World's Greatest Jazzband Of Yank Lawson & Bob Haggart-Hark The Herald Angels Swing (World Jazz WJLP 5-2, 1972).

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...