Sunday, December 18, 2005

King Me!


Today's tunes come from an LP of tunes taken from the King Family Christmas special, circa 1968. I'd heard lots of talk about this music being pretty bad, or even downright unlistenable, so I was a little hesitant to record it, or even listen to it. So it came as quite a shock when I discovered it's actually pretty good. There are some great arrangements on here, and I think there is some of that early 'NOW' sound creeping in around the edges. I don't know a lot about the King Family, other than they were some sort of music prodigies from a really big family. And they seem to have married well. One of the in-laws was Alvino Rey! You can here his influence every now and then in these songs, a little guitar bit here and there. Mr. Rey recorded one pseudonymous Christmas LP, which I'd love to share with you, but it's out on CD now, and you should go buy it. (More on that shortly.) Anyhow, please download and give a listen to A King Family Christmas (Fleetwood FCLP 3038 or 3031, c. 1968). I discovered the two different covers and different catalog numbers contained the same music when I went to record them this morning. I was confused because the one below specifically says Volume 2 on the cover. Maybe this is volume 2 of the previously shared Robert Way LP, which was also from Mobil. Hmmm... Either way, the music and the back covers are the same on both. But stay tuned, I've got more from the King Family coming soon!


Update: Looks like this one is coming out on CD for the 2009 Christmas season, or maybe it's the very similar release on Warner Bros. Either way, I'm pulling down the share, and I encourage you to go out and buy the CD. If we don't buy these things when they come out through legitimate channels, then they'll quite releasing them...

2 comments:

  1. The Four King Sisters had success as vocalists during the Big Band Era. ("The Hut Sut Song" was their biggest hit I think.) They also appeared in some movies. Alvino Ray married one of the sisters and they became featured vocalists with his band. The later King Family was the original sisters' extended family, and I seem to remember they had a successful TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ernie! I grew up with this LP, but my mom's record player no longer works. The digital recording will make a nice gift for my family this weekend. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...